Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm trading in my machine...AGAIN!!

You will love machine embroidery. The Topaz looks like a nice machine also.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, since you asked for input, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. If it were me, I would think long and hard about getting another Viking. I don't think the shop owner is being generous...you are entitled to what you paid for and so far you haven't received it. What you have had is trouble. The shop owner should be making things right without making you think she's doing you a favor. And on top of all that, she's upselling you, which benefits her greatly. JMHO.

4. Thanks auntiemern, grammaterry, Chantal, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you. Can't wait to hear how the new machine works for you. Have fun learning.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

6. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    Terry, since you asked for input, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. If it were me, I would think long and hard about getting another Viking. I don't think the shop owner is being generous...you are entitled to what you paid for and so far you haven't received it. What you have had is trouble. The shop owner should be making things right without making you think she's doing you a favor. And on top of all that, she's upselling you, which benefits her greatly. JMHO.
    I agree with Michelle. If you want another Viking, and the Topaz is a machine you truly want, then that's great. BUT... if a Bernina is what you would rather have, then the shop owner should still give you the full price you paid for the Viking towards the Bernina.

However this plays out and whichever machine you decide on, I hope it's all you want it to be and you have many happy quilting years with it!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

8. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I agree with Chelea. This machine is only 9 months old and the motor was replaced just one month ago. I would not put my money back into the same brand. I would push for a different brand. That being said, machine embroidery is so much fun and so addicting!! I love it!!!!! Good luck with your decision and new machine -- whatever that may be.

Nancy

10. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cv quilter View Post
    Terry, MOVE FORWARD! I think you are going to enjoy the option to do embroidery, too, besides quilting. You are a dynamo, you have much to do. You will be able to do sew much more with the new machine. Wonderful that your dealer is willing to give you options. Let us know what you decide....I know what I would decide.
    But you didn't tell me what you would decide. Come on...give it up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I would definitely decide to go with another brand. The thing is, I know that you are somewhat tied to the Viking dealer since they are willing to give you all the $ you've paid for your current machine. I would go with a different brand machine, though. I am partial to Baby Lock and have two embroidery/sewing machines and love them. I have owned a Bernina sewing machine and found it to be very dependable. Chelea makes a very good point...the Viking dealer is not doing you a favor...rather seems to be interested in getting more $ from you. If you can get all you paid for that Viking back, take the $ and run...to another dealer and another brand of machine. I am so sorry for the trouble and aggravation you are having.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

13. Thanks Claire Hallman, grammaterry thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Viking Huskytsar and a Viking 545 which are both 15 years old and to be honest I've never had them serviced. They still work very well but both have been discontinued so when it comes time for me to buy a replacement I will be horribly lost. People brag on every brand and complain about every brand so it will just be a "crap shoot" as to what to get. I hope my current machines last a long time!

15. Thanks PrettyCurious, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister has a Topaz and the only real concern for her is that the machine is Heavy. My SE is heavy too. We love the embroidery function of the machines. Have fun with your new machine no matter what you decide. Sounds like your current machine is a lemon and should be replaced by the LQS.

17. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't sound like a "deal" to me, but it may be the best the dealer can do- especially if they're a low volume dealer. My guess is the dealer isn't going to get much more than a warranty repair credit from SVP. So, she's stuck with your old machine, even though it has been fixed. Unless you are willing to suffer a huge loss, changing brands isn't really an option. The dealer will get zero help from the supplier on this transaction.

In your shoes I'd go for the upgrade- put all this behind you, and hope for the best. I'm sure it will be fine. SVP really doesn't want this happening to their machines, but stuff happens. It is afterall an electro-mechanical device, and I don't know of any that are trouble free. We could only wish that dealing with a large conglomerate like SVP wasn't so "impossible."
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

19. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post