Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 9 Patch Hourglass part 2

You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing how to make it bigger than the pattern calls for so we can all use up the whole layer cake.
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

2. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    What a great and colorful addition to your quilts. The colors are different for your usual but I do like it. The pattern is wonderful and you always do such great work which I find must be difficult with your vision
    My sons are still wondering about my vision. The vision loss is from the outside in, so while I can't see very far away from my central vision, what's in that center is still pretty good. I guess the best way explain it is- remember playing with the paper towel rolls like they were the pirate's spy glass? That's kind of what my vision is like. It takes me a lot longer to go through shelves at the store, or heaven help me if there's a post on an aisle, or if someone leaves a cabinet door open while putting dishes away, I'll smack myself senseless every time.

In the sewing room, under the needle, and harp area are within my sight lines. Where the thread sits, the push button area of my Husky are not. I have to deliberately look over for them. As long as I can keep sewing I'll be happy.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

4. Thanks Star lover, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing how to make it bigger than the pattern calls for so we can all use up the whole layer cake.
    I think there are 18 hour glasses left, and I'm going to use them in the middle border. I'm trying to decide what to add with them to finish out the blank spaces. I'll get inspired (hopefully before Hope's quilt is finished at the long armer's!).
    Katrina

― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astatoo View Post
    Super job, and wow that is one big quilt! Will you quilting it yourself or sending this one out?
    This one is definitely going out to quilt. My machine really needs a spa vacation with a good cleaning and finding out why my feed dog switch won't move! If you believed it, my dogs are down right now and have been for months. My fingers say they're up and doing a mighty fine job of straight line stitching but a lousy job of free motion quilting. ;-)
    Katrina

― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great! Make a Christmasy baby quilt with your extra blocks if you have any babies amongst your family or friends.
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Katrina......beautiful quilt! Sooooo pretty I'd use it year round! This one is on "the list" and I might just have to move it some after seeing how stunning yours is!
    Anita

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you can really crank these out!. Another nice finish.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It looks great...so pretty.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh! Nativetexan I like your idea! I actually tried to make this quilt, had lots of trouble and just gave up. I used some of the blocks and made a table topper but might try this again using your idea. Seems I have a lot of trouble with nine patch blocks for some strange reason...maybe it's in my cutting of squares.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter74 View Post
    Ooh! Nativetexan I like your idea! I actually tried to make this quilt, had lots of trouble and just gave up. I used some of the blocks and made a table topper but might try this again using your idea. Seems I have a lot of trouble with nine patch blocks for some strange reason...maybe it's in my cutting of squares.
    One thing I wish I'd done- I made the hour glasses first and squared them to 6 1/2". I wish I'd made the 9 patches first and figured out their size first. Some of my 9 patches seemed a lot smaller than the hour glasses.

When I make it again... I'll definitely make all of my 9 patches first, square them all up to the smallest one then start on the hour glasses!

Second thing, there's a lot of bulk on the hour glass squares in places. If I wasn't so lazy, It would probably be a good idea to press the seams on the rows open or spin the seams where the bulk is.
    Katrina

― Maya Angelou