Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question What do you take to Quilt Retreats/Classes? How do you pack it all in?

How do you take all that you need - notions, rulers, thread, etc. to quilt retreats/classes? I always feel like a pack mule, and that I take too much, or that I end up leaving things I need (mostly notions) at home.

Do you have two sets of notions - one for home and one for retreat/classes?

What are some must have things that you take to retreats/classes?
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you take to Quilt Retreats/Classes? How do you pack it all in?

I would love to have 2 sets, but am not there (and doubt that I ever get there for everything). Must haves, rotary cutter and blades, scissors, small cutting mat. foot pedal and power cord if bringing your own machine. (Yes, I have left these home before) thread, bobbins (I pre-wound some the last time and found this helpful), etc. Do a google search on what to bring and start you a checklist.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you take to Quilt Retreats/Classes? How do you pack it all in?

Here's a couple of list for ideas. I wish I had 2 of everything. I would leave my rolling bag packed.

http://www.aquiltinglife.com/2016/02...retreats.html/

https://shipshewanaquiltretreat.com/...ing-checklist/
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do have two of everything and keep one set in the rolling bag with the machine. Scissors, just a small pair for when your rotary cutter misses, rotary cutter and folding mat, folding ruler, travel iron and folding pad, thread, bobbins, seam ripper, safety pins, folding light, magnet to pick up pins when I spill them, pins,a few different sized ziplocks. Then I add any needed templates, patterns, already cut material cuz who wants to waste time,
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a tackle box with two layers for storage. It works at home and easy to pack up for classes. It's like a pack and play for sewing and holds most everything except the rotary cutter.

8. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I make a list of projects I want to work on while I am there... I make up kits with everything I need to make them. BIG zip lock bags so I can just grab a project and make something.

Then I make a list of all of the tools I will need for those projects, including templates and threads. Then, I include my notions I use daily... seam ripper, 2 pairs of sissors, tape measure x2, frixion pens, Travel iron and pad, small cutting mat.

Add in my machine and I'm ready to go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have duplicates of many notions. I made a Bionic Gear Bag to hold what I need for trips. It's got a rotary cutter (with extra blades), small scissors, tweezers, seam ripper, tan thread, wonder clips, pins, pen, pencil, frixion pen, needles, stiletto, tape measure, 4x8 ruler, magnet wand (for picking up pins), and a notepad.

Irons, rulers and cutting mat are extras I may bring, depending on where I'm going.

I also make kits of my projects. Sometimes it's good to precut at home, it depends on how much cutting space is available. There notepad is very handy to write sites, patterns and fabrics you have learned about at the retreat. It's also great to keep names and emails of new friends too.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

For those with a machine just for retreats, what do you have? I only have my primary which is huge and heavy. I bought my DGD a little sewing machine for Christmas that her mother says can only stay at my house. Thought about using that but when I tried to use it I found it wasn’t very accurate and the stitches weren’t neat and pretty. It’ll work for touch ups and for a first machine for her but unfortunately not for me.

JM

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I started quilting, I purchased many scrapbook bins at Michael's. I keep a project in each one and perfect for 12 1/2" blocks. Once I noticed they had divided trays you could stack inside, so I bought 2. Best thing since sliced bread for me. I keep it on my sewing table and add items I might need at the last minute. You can also store small rulers underneath the trays. I also bring a full size iron, the one I used before I bought the Oliso. I bring a double sided cutting mat/ ironing board. If retreat is in town, I bring a 2nd ironing board I have for others to use. I bring a magnetic pin holder, from an auto parts store. I can't live without my cutting Gizmo, especially since I tend to chain piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	155454. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	155455

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjmanago View Post
    For those with a machine just for retreats, what do you have? I only have my primary which is huge and heavy. I bought my DGD a little sewing machine for Christmas that her mother says can only stay at my house. Thought about using that but when I tried to use it I found it wasn’t very accurate and the stitches weren’t neat and pretty. It’ll work for touch ups and for a first machine for her but unfortunately not for me.

JM
    I have a Janome 3160 DC. It has many of features of my larger Janome 6600 but weighs only 13 lbs. The feet between the two are interchangeable which is convenient. It is a great travel machine.