Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Substitute for wool?

I have numerous patterns for small seasonal applique projects that are designed to use wool.

There are two problems with that for me: 1) I am allergic to wool 2) I am even more allergic to the price of wool!!! YIKES!

I am planning on using mostly cottons, but have two concerns. Some very small pieces really need to have more of the 3D look and may unravel completely because of their size, and lighter fabrics over darker ones would surely show through. These are not full size quilts and would most likely never be washed - just spot cleaned if necessary, so that would not need to be a consideration.

My questions are:

1) Have you ever used "craft" felt in place of wool and how did it work?

2) Is there an iron on fusible that is somewhat opaque to prevent the darker color from showing through?

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Substitute for wool?

I am currently using a wool felt instead of 100% felted wool. The wool felt is either 20% wool or 35% wool and the rest is rayon. The wool felt is soft, pliable, easy to get your needle through and does not fray at all. I have read that the acrylic craft felts are difficult to get your needle through. Maybe the wool content is low enough not to trigger your allergy?

When using an iron on fusible where I am overlapping a lighter color over a darker color I put multiple layers of the lighter color over the darker color. So I would cut two pieces exactly the same of the white and fuse the first layer of white over the dark, then put the second white piece over the first white piece and fuse it again. In one case I actually had to use three layers of white until I was satisfied. I made sure I was using a 90/14 titanium coated top stitch needle to sew through the multiple layers of fusible.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How about fleece (not polar)?

Lorie

5. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use acrylic or craft felt for Christmas tree ornaments. There is no problem hand sewing with DMC/Anchor embroidery thread and a standard needle and I use up to 3 strands. I have also used Anchor Perle cotton, this has been harder to sew as the thread is quite thick so have needed a bigger eye therefore it was a thicker needle. Hope this helps.

7. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You won't get the gorgeous colors of hand dyed wools in craft felt. Some quilt shops make up small bundles of different colored wools and not as expensive that way but still not cheap. I used to buy 100% wool garments at Goodwill and felt my own, also dyed it. I did decide it was too much trouble and I can now see why it is expensive, lots of work.

9. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like some of the woven cotton flannels. Would that work?

11. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some nice synthetic felt off the bolt at Jo-Ann's. It's heaver that the rectangles you buy, and comes in lots of colors, some are mottled. Almost as rich as wool felt.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

13. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post