Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WIPs - Oct. 5 to Oct. 11th

I promised to start the thread for this week since threadbndr asked for help. How are everybodys' projects going? I added a border to my floating hexagon top and made it too big for the backing fabric, a swirly fake fur from Jo-Ann's, so I'll need more of that. I also got a dowel rod painted and stuck through my Halloween crazy quilt, a fun project and our only Halloween decoration at present. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030501.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	155384

Keep us updated on your progress!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIPs - Oct. 5 to Oct. 11th

Thanks for getting it going. I set aside Wednesday for sewing/ quilting, and would not allow any distractions. I got lots finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	155397
    - quilt top for Victoria Quilts (persons undergoing cancer treatments)

- Guild challenge quilt. We were provided with the same baby panel. It was our choice to leave baby size or go bigger. I went bigger, 42 x 58. I sewed the top last week, and I quilted it on S16.

Views:	13 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	155398 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	155399

- finished pillowcases for my GD. DH embroidered her name, then I sewed it.

Views:	13 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	155400

- two fall pillow covers. The back fabric is from Bali. A GF gave me a large piece last year from her trip. She doesn't sew, but liked the fabric.

Views:	15 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	155401jClick image for larger version. 

Views:	14 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	155402

I have decided that I have to be more selfish and take time out for myself, and escape to my sewing room.

Today I will be getting ready for Canadian Thanksgiving. We are having the family over tomorrow. I will cook and carve the turkey today and prep vegetables and salads. I will make pies. DH will cook the ham tomorrow. There is always lots of leftovers, which the kids bring home. With 3 kids each, they all appreciate take away meals from our house.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

3. Thanks Star lover, Claire Hallman, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have several projects going, as usual. I did a bit of mending yesterday then some fmq on my new juki sit down. I am getting used to it, love the big quilting space.
    I went to a retreat last week and worked on four projects, now they are mostly pieced but need trimming, then rows sewn. I got a baby quilt pieced then finished it up this week, it is wrapped and ready to gift on Saturday.
    I discovered I need backing and perhaps border fabric for Jenny's binding star that is now an almost complete top, oh no, a shopping trip is in my future, lol.
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; October 5th, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Finished another block for my Dear Jane. I now have 19 done. A LONG way to go! Cut out Halloween pillowcases for my 4 grandsons. Hope to finish those this weekend. Will also do a couple blocks for the Moda Blockheads 2.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is week one of having my house up for sale. I have had to put away most of my quilting stuff and am reduced to only hand work. I am having serious sewing machine withdrawal.

Having finished my first wool table runner I had to find some other hand work to do. I decided to do a second wool table runner. These are some die cut wool felt leaf shapes also from Over The River Felt. I arranged them on a wool felt background and am stitching them down with a closed fly stitch. This is a very easy stitch, even easier than the blanket stitch because you don't have to keep your stitches even. This is also giving me chance to see the interactions between floss color and felt color. What happens if I exactly match shades, what if I go one shade lighter, one shade darker, two shades darker?

Name:	100_4695.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	155413

Can I mention again how much I miss my sewing machine.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

9. Thanks Star lover, pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, are the leaves fused down or are you fixing the edges down another way, or not? Don't fly stitches make pretty leaf veins?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimsophia View Post
    Denise, are the leaves fused down or are you fixing the edges down another way, or not? Don't fly stitches make pretty leaf veins?
    I am not fixing the edges down in any way. The leaves are a die cut wool felt. Absolutely zero fraying. I put one pin through the leaf when I start sewing. When the thread get near the pin I remove the pin. My fly stitch is pretty close to the edge of the leaf.

Yes the fly stitch makes a pretty vein leaf. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to do.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken a break from my square in a square quilt, I'm at the point of joining the rows together, but as it's for the spare bed, there's no rush.

I bought 2 pre-printed Christmas panels to make table runners and 8 placemats for DD, her birthday is the end of the month and I wanted to gift them to her so she can use them when she puts her decorations out in December. I've made 1 set, now just about to FMQ set 2. She has no idea and I can't wait to see her face when she opens the present!

I'll move on to one of my UFO's next, it's a log cabin in browns and fans for DH birthday in November.

Hope everyone has a good week.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did some slicing and sewing and got the fur fabric to fit the quilt top but my legs are too stiff to get up and down on the floor any more today. I keep having my hip flexors tighten up. I guess those stretches will need to become a daily thing. I am making the binding myself and got fabric for it ironed this afternoon. I need to do a lot of cutting and sewing strips together. It will be a scrappy binding.

5.07 inches of rain here since Friday...we had already had a wet September. I wish it went to the drought stricken areas in Missouri and Kansas.

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a Whale Tails quilt for our upcoming grand baby. It is adorable. I've got the top done, but am taking a small break to ponder on how I want to quilt it. Meanwhile, I'm working on a wall hanging.
    Bec

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post