Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rag quilt and minke

Just wondering if minke can be used on a rag quilt. I have lots of odd ball pieces and was thinking to use them with flannel on the opposite side to make a rag quilt. thanks For your opinions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rag quilt and minke

I don't think minkee will "rag" since it isn't a woven fabric, if I am not mistaken.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Minke does not rag. It sort of curls and probably drops a lot of fuzz.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It does make a mess, but you can make a rag quilt with it. Just keep a vacuum nearby.

I made one a few years ago. I bought 3 of the Safari Minky layer cakes from M*. They were 11 inches instead of 10. I put flannel in the middle and wild character cotton fabric on top. Just made an "X" by quilting diagonally from corner to corner. When I sewed the squares together, I made 1/2 seams (for ragging). When I sewed those seams I used a triple stitch on my machine. It goes forward one stitch, back one stitch then forward two stitches and so on. Take it outside and shake it good, then to the laundry mat to wash/dry in one of their large washers and dryers.

The young man I made it for really loved it. He kept petting it!

Not sure I would make another rag quilt. It really hurt my hands with cutting all those edges even though I bought a spring loader cutter.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Even though it doesnít actually ďragĒ, it works very well in rag quilts. I originally got the idea to use it in a local quilt shop where they had used it in some really cute ones. My grandkids love them! I have used quilting cotton for the top layer, a layer of batting and then back in Minky. I have also used flannel on the front with Minky for the back layer. They are very soft and as I said, my family loves them.

I have an Accuquilt cutter and have rag dies for them which saves my hands from all the clipping. I got that idea from the quilt shop too. It does make a mess, but I donít think itís all that hard to clean it up and is well worth the outcome to me. You will need to shake them out really really well before you wash it the first time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made 'rag' quilts with Minke and flannel. The minke does make a mess and doesn't rag, but the flannel will do the work of the ragging. I make them as floor quilts since minke also doesn't breathe well. I made this one for a great niece and mom has requested another for the younger sister.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	malrealquilt.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	155383
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
    I've made 'rag' quilts with Minke and flannel. The minke does make a mess and doesn't rag, but the flannel will do the work of the ragging. I make them as floor quilts since minke also doesn't breathe well. I made this one for a great niece and mom has requested another for the younger sister.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	malrealquilt.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	155383
    That's really cute Cindy!
    Vonnie

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can use minky in a rag quilt. And as others have said, it is very MESSY. I just used minky for the backing and cotton for the top. I donít think I used batting because I knew the minky would be heavy. I had a lot of trouble keeping the layers even and together and I pulled my hair out with this one, but I absolutely love it. And no itís not perfect but rag quilts arenít meant to be perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1295FC95-5768-481B-9527-38E55A174EBD.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	155422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	929DE9F6-C05E-41DD-A773-72321524D3F3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	155423