Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just wondering......

For the first time I have thread basted a quilt rather than using pins or spray baste. I used Sharon Schambers' board method though I do confess to making my herringbone stitches smaller and closer together than she did in the tutorial....I just got carried away I guess LOL. So my question is: do I still need to do rows of machine stabilising stitches before starting my quilting or does the thread basting suffice? The quilt is approx 55" x 60". I've included a pic of the thread basting...it's on the light brown section in the photo but is difficult to see unless you click on the pic to enlarge it. Any advice gratefully accepted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180923_163530 (Small).jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	155366  
    Last edited by just4me; October 4th, 2018 at 07:34 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just wondering......

Honestly I'm not sure. The thread basting is so close together you may be good to good as is. Maybe try one area and see how it goes?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no help. I've never thread basted a quilt. I use pins & then machine baste around the perimeter.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That looks really good and I think it is enough. I would also baste all around the outside edges just as close to the edge as you can get. Makes attaching binding a little easier and if you are careful enough to get close to the edge you won't have to remove it bc it will not show.

5. Thanks just4me thanked for this post