Scraps, Scraps, and More ....... Scraps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sylvia H
    Missouri Star
    • May 2014

Scraps, Scraps, and More ....... Scraps!

I becamed inundated with scraps from my last few projects. I had made a pledge in the summer of 2015 to not start another project until I dealt with the scraps from the last projects. Clearly, I hadn't done that recently, so it was time to organize those scraps. I have scraps at 5", 2" and 2.5" squares. I also have some scraps cut at 2" X 3.5" for a particular scrappy project that I will do when I have accumulated enough of those size. For what it is worth, I have already made one quilt top from 5" scrap squares, one from 2.5" scrap squares, and working on a second from 2.5" scrap squares.

My first dilemma came when I wasn't sure what to do with the scraps that were the remains of 2 and 3 jelly roll strips sewn together. Don't know what to do? Put them aside while working through the rest of the scraps. My next dilemma, what to do with the large pieces of fabric. Do I cut them down into smaller sizes? Do I keep them uncut and create a new place to keep them? Don't know what to do? Put them aside while working through the rest of the scraps! (Is a pattern developing?)

My last project was to make some spring/summer placemats for myself. I was only able to get the tops finished. (Health problems) I decided, that in the midst of all the health issues, and with a lack of quilting accomplishment, I would like to make some new fall placemats. I had a partial pack of coordinated fat quarters that might be the right colors. Well, they were, but some of the prints were too large (I could used them for backings), but the remainder were too homogeneous in color. They would work for the pattern I wanted to make, but could I do better?

So, let's pull out every other fat quarter that might work for a set of six placemats. I now have a very large pile of fat quarters! And, while I am at it, shouldn't this bag, with fat quarters for another project be put into another container? And, since I am doing that, shouldn't I pull out all the fat quarters designated for projects and bag them up so they don't impede further fat quarter ruminations? Of course! Now, exactly how many fat quarters did I need to make that child size (3 blocks X 3 blocks) Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt? Oh, I forgot how many 5" squares I can get from a fat quarter. Time to find the pen and paper to draw this out, or can I just calculate on the cell phone? After drawing, and calculating, I am surprised to find that I only need slightly more than 5 fat quarters for one quilt (I can get 16 five inch squares from one fat quarter). Does that really sound right? Just 6 fat quarters, and I will have plenty of left over 5" squares?

I have one of those Disappearning Nine Patch quilt tops that I really hated. Let me check to make sure. Opens 1, 2, 3 bins of UFOs and bundled projects. I can't find that darn quilt top at all. Did I throw it away, because I really, really, really didn't like it. No, I don't think so. I just don't know where it is right now.

HOWEVER, while looking through the bins for that illusive quilt top, I came across a few small bags of ..... wait for it ..... wait for it ...... can you guess? I came across a few small bags of scraps. Oh yes! Scraps! How this whole escapade started! Now I have more scraps to sort through, not to mention that pile of FQs to see if I have the right combination for fall placemats. I realized I had done enough sorting and calculating for the time being. My condition requires that I rest as much as possible. So, I am going downstairs and take a rest on the sofa - that is - right after I type this up for ya'lls reading enjoyment! BTW, how do you organize your left over project material? And, how many fat quarters to make a 3 block X 3 block Disappearing Nine Patch?
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar
  • K. McEuen
    Super Moderator
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Scraps, Scraps, and More ....... Scraps!

5" squares from a fat quarter would only be 12. That would measure 15 by 20, Fat quarter is 18 by 22, so the remaining wouldn't give you enough room to get 4 more 5" squares.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Sylvia H
      Missouri Star
      • May 2014

Yes, Karen, you are right. I knew something was wrong with my calculations, as the last time I was making this quilt from fat quarters, I was pretty sure I needed more than 6. I will need 7 FQs. Fortunately, I have enough for the two children's quilts I want to make.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Cokie
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2016

I laughed as I read your post because I too am easily distracted when I start looking thru my fabric!

Comment

• jjkaiser
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2013

Haha you sure went full circle on this one. I need a nap just from reading it, so I can imagine how YOU felt! Maybe its time to downsize.
          Jocelyn
          South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Bee happy
            UN-Biased
            • Jun 2015

Speaking of downsizing here is my solution. This year I send a card to each daughter and grandchild giving them almost free choice of fabric in my stash. I want to encourage my new quilters and have the fun of seeing what they choose and help them bring their quilt to completion. One of my GD has already completed a quilt for her baby who is due in March. Gretchen

Comment

• dwil23
              Missouri Star
              • May 2012

I LOVE my scraps! I use Bonnie Hunters Scrap USERS system. I do struggle sometimes with what I should keep in one piece and what should be cut up. I call those pieces my "Hunks and Chunks". I also cut special sizes for specific projects.
              Donna

Comment

• KarenC
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2015

Thanks for the entertaining post, if nothing else. I kept reading it to the end thinking, "yep, that sounds like when I try to organize." I feel like I create more mess. As of now my scraps are stored in bins from the dollar store by color. well, colorish. I finally got rid of chest of drawers which had yardage stored in drawers that I couldn't see, and wrapped them on the comic boards and put on a book shelf with glass doors, arranged by color. Fat quarter bundles on one shelf, kitted projects all together, yardage on remaining 3 shelves. I need another book case! I'm taking a break from sewing up old inherited fabric and working on a quilt for myself that I started last year. M* claims it is a beginner tutorial, but I'm not sure about that with the number of flying geese in this pattern. I just finished a wall hanging made totally with scraps, but since the finished project is 18 x 18, you guessed it, didn't even make a dent in the scraps. I'm just so hesitant to cut them up into smaller pieces and create even more scraps. Maybe one day.
                Karen
                Spring, TX

Comment

• Deegles
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2014

I am hardly organized to give advice, but I may communicate something that will help you out. I store fabric in totes, dressers, sewing machine cabinets, sewing baskets, and buffets. I allocated one drawer to stuff less than a yard, but larger than 5 inches. I have a large tote that houses all my scraps of 1/2 inch to 4 1/2 inches. These may be part of a triangle or a strip. That bin runneth over, and in going through it I realized I was saving things I would never piece if cut from yardage, so there were 1 inch dog ears or 3/4 inch strips that went into the trash. I recommend keeping your scraps all in one place if possible. It helps keep an eye on things. If you have many 2 1/2 inch strips no matter what length, keep those separated from the rest and place with like colors. all neutrals being grouped, all blues together, pinks, etc. You would be able to pull off a very humble jelly roll race quilt within a couple of hours. If you have more than a tote (20 gallons) you may want to think about giving it to someone who could use it, that way they go for their intended purpose and it eases your scrap burden.
                  I just made 2 quilts from my scraps, and the 20 gallon tote is still full. I have checked a couple of designs off my bucket list of string quilts, so the idea of keeping scraps is A BIG Question mark for me.
                  Quilters also like purchasing scraps, so you may find someone who wants a garbage bag full, which would still leave me with my tote not empty.
                  I hope yu find a solution that works for you!
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Caroline T.
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2016

Too funny! I actually envisioned you trapped in your sewing room by mountains of scraps, ufo's and fat quarters and was ready to call the police to do a wellness check on you.

From early on in my quilting adventure, which has only been 4 years, I knew from watching my mother's stash grow that if I wasn't careful, I would be overflowing my home with stash and scraps.

So to help combat scrap accumulation I will first see if i have enough fabric left over to make a lap or baby quilt,

After that I have two lifetime projects going, both made from scraps, that I work on when i'm indecisive about what project is next.

The first one is a paper pieced Lone Star quilt. I refer to this quilt as "My Jouney to the Stars". Each star is created with fabric left over from one quilt. When I complete a quilt, I take some of the small left over pieces and put them together in a zip lock bag, which is put in that project's box. Periodically I pull out that box and sew together a few star blocks.

The other small left over pieces, get tossed into another box, and that too I will pull out occassionally, and just sew them together randomly to make crazy quilt blocks.

Comment

• AMG
                      The Guild President
                      • Apr 2015

I toss scraps into a clear bin & when it can't hold any more I sit down in front if the tv and make a little nest of cutting board, iron, and all my scrap storage bins - I cut 2" 2.5" or 5" squares or, if the scrap is long enough, strips of 2.5, 2, or 1.5". I also have bags and bags of trimmings that I keep for "some day I need to make per beds for the she,ter" and just last month, I sorted out crumbs from one of the trimming bags and I now have thirteen 12" crumb blocks - I swear, they are like potato chips, can't must do a few! I have tons of sets of flying geese, that I made as leaders/enders (I need to laytem out on the design wall and figure out if I have enough yet), I have a baby blanket I made from scraps, and I'm sewing 2" squares for a postage stamp quilt (eventually- it's going to take a lot, lol).

Comment

• SuzyQue
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2010

I cut and sorted all my scraps by size and color. I cut everything that does not meet the WOF yardage. I try to keep up with trimming all scraps as I go and sorting them in their appropriate bins. I started a stash pot pie club this year and have made one quilt a month using only scraps and stash. I will admit, I often have to purchase the backings for these, but all else is from my stash. I am totally convinced that my scraps party and reproduce each night. I think the more I use, the more I have yet to use. I think I need to live forever!

Comment

• LauraP
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2015

I have a much easier way to deal with scraps. Under my sewing table I have a see through bag from a set of curtains. As I cut blocks my scraps go in the bag. When it is full I ask if anyone on here wants them cuz I REALLY hate the look of scrap quilts. Plus for me, I get rid of them, plus for someone who like scrappy cuz they get new and different material that they may not have bought.
                          sigpic

Comment

• pcbatiks
                            Missouri Star
                            • Mar 2012

Sylvia, this blog post series might be helpful to you for a fun scrappy quilt. I've started one. It's fun to work on when you want to do mindless sewing. I enjoyed your post. I think a lot of us have had the short attention span problem when we try to organize.

Today I'd like to kick off the scrap vortex quilt along! It's going to be very informal and hopefully a lot of fun. If you are looking to ma...

Welcome to week 2 of the scrap vortex QAL! I'm very happy that so many of you are quilting along with me! Today I will be showing the direct...

We are on week 3 of the quilt along already! I hope you are having fun with it! I know I am! This week is more of the same...sewing two p...

Welcome to week 4 of the scrap vortex quilt along! I didn't touch this project all week, sadly. I got my blocks out this morning to take s...
                            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2015

A good read and so funny to start my day. Although I pride myself in knowing where each fabric is stored, I had one of those days yesterday looking for the backing and throw pillow panels that I wanted to make. I didn't find it, but I was pleasantly distracted all day.
                              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X