Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hi from Illinois

Hi there and welcome from Wisconsin-- so I guess that makes us neighbors! I would love to peek into that bin and see what kind of 20 year old fabric goodies are in there! You will love the Forum and make lots of new friends.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

It was all purchased at various discount stores during that time period! not the best "quilt store quality" fabric that I now try to purchase, but it will have to be used at some point! Interesting part is that the shades and tones used then are nearly impossible to match with current fabric. I am not sure if aging of the fabric has altered the colors that much or that I am truly not going to find fabrics in the proper colors to coordinate! I am looking at building scrappy quilts from them since yardage is limited, that way I can (hopefully) make larger bed quilts from yardage I have. I am fairly sure that mixing these fabrics with newer fabrics will not be a good idea anyway since quality and age will likely cause uneven wear with use.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    have just gotten to the point that I recognize I have too much "stash". .
    Currently in England we are paying around £3.65 per quarter - more if it's a "designer" fabric - and that's not including postage and packing; £14.60 a yard rather than $11.24 (or thereabouts) - forgive me if I have that wrong. When we visited Lancaster County some while ago I filled every spare corner of my suitcase with fabric. Like Christmas when I unpacked . That's why many of us here have smaller collections of fabric and usually "buy to use" when we have a project and design in mind.

If we lived in America, oh my gosh, I'd be in a quilt fabric shop every week. Stroking fabric bolts and drooling.
    Last edited by NancyR; October 3rd, 2018 at 07:08 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

@jjmango... I received some fabric that had been purchased at an estate sale by a relative. It was old and really not suitable for todays quilts. I have used it to make sample blocks, backs of table runners for my furniture, doll skirts, quilt/rugs for barbie, etc. and even doubled it up and made tubes that I stuffed with other fabric clippings to use at bottom of doors to stop the wind drafts. Cut into tiny pieces and grandkids used modge podge to glue on balls to make christmas ornaments or a tree shaped cone.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, I am from Illinois also, western suburbs of Chicago. I tend to see fabric I like and then plan the quilt, I think that may be the backwards way to quilt, but I love so much of the fabric I see. Also have an embroidery machine that I play with. I also work full time, and have a disabled husband, but quilt when I can. This is a good site to get information from!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

MiMi Howard, that is a good idea! I’m hoping that if I use enough of the old stuff that my husband won’t be as upset when I acquire new stuff ! I just some yardage to make curtain panels, practice blocks, and scrappy throws for family members to use as drag around quilts. No hurt feeling when they get worn out or damaged from rough use. There definitely will be no plans for heirloom work in the old stash.
    Gracien, I live south of you by Woodridge. I’ve probably run into and never knew it! I avoid fabric stores because I can never buy “just what I need”. Too many pretty fabrics out there calling my name. I try to save up and only enter with cash in hand! I probably have enough to keep me busy for another 20 years at least!