Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Cot/crib quilt

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cot/crib quilt

..... which I want to make for a baby - sex not yet known! It will be just a simple 5" block design but I've been asked for "bright colours" so mixing those with Dashwood nursery prints. Not having made one before I was wondering if polyester batting (which I wouldn't normally use) makes it a softer and cosier quilt. Can you think of reasons why I shouldn't? Does is it make quilting more difficult - although I'll only be doing straight lines up and down and across. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cot/crib quilt

It's your choice and I would use what ever you're most comfortable with using.

Another consideration to think about is, what are you going to back the quilt with?

The last baby quilt I made, I used cotton/ poly blend batting with a flannel backing. It was really soft and snuggly.

One suggestion, that I'm going to do with any other flannel backings, Before I prewash it, I'm going to zig zag the edges. What a mess of strings and knots I had on that fabric!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Making baby quilts is so much fun. Normally I use cotton batting because it breathes but I know that a lot of us use the poly. Poly is lightweight and warm. If you decide to use a flannel backing you need to wash it before using it to reduce the shrinkage. You can zig-zag or serge the cut edges to eliminate long threads or simply make a little diagonal cut on the 4 corners.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is that poly batting is fluffier than cotton. I didn't enjoy sewing with it as much as the cotton but it does make a pretty baby quilt.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny has a tutorial using 5" squares I think is is 6 blocks x 12 blocks, then you make 2 cuts on diagonal and you have blocks which are set on point. Whatever pattern you choose will be lovely.

As suggested, flannel backing does make for a soft quilt. I used to make baby quilts with polyester, and you just need to change the foot on your machine so it glides easier. If you want the fluffy look, you can also use Tuscany 100% wool. It is light and not extremely warm and nice to work with, or a combo of cotton & wool.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Poly will make a puffier fatter quilt. I have not machine quilted any but with hand quilting it was easy. Wool is flat like warm and natural and is easy to hand quilt, but it does need special washing instructions, so for that reason I do not use it on any quilt I make for a gift. Wool is also more expensive. Hobbs 80/20 is a nice in between weight and loft and is usually what I use. I did use Quilters Dream Puff batting once and never again! It was so hard to quilt but the quilt was pretty.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; October 1st, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to be especially careful with your basting because poly batting doesn't stick to the top and backing like a natural fiber will. Slides a bit but you can do it. I've used both.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone - I think flannel for the backing is an excellent suggestion and it means I don't have to think about the polyester batting - it will still have that cosy feel using the flannel.