• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnsonMSW
    Honey Bun
    • Apr 2017

word/directional fabric as a border

Once again . . . I'm coming to the experts for advice!!! HELP PLEASE before I drive myself crazy!!! I'm using some really adorable word fabric as a break border on a baby quilt so . . . my question is . . . when I'm cutting/sewing it on the top/bottom . . . which "direction" should the words face? Should they "read" INTO the quilt or as if a "normal" (and I'm sure not of course) person would read them??

It's hard to describe but . . . the top words be sideways as in reading left to right but . . . what about the bottom . . . should they "read" into the quilt or be identical to the top so there is an obvious correct way to lay the quilt?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^

VVVVVVVVVVVV
  • Rhonda K
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2017

Re: word/directional fabric as a border

It IS a puzzle to decide directions on prints!

The borders can be done either way that you like. I put them on so they read upright for a small tumbler flag quilt.

Good luck!
    Just one more stitch...

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

I would think it's going to be personal preference. No quilting police around here, that's for sure!

Sitting here typing, I've even confused myself. (Aren't directional prints a pain!) I would have the top reading from left to right. The right side- reading from Top to bottom with the tail letters pointing to the center, the bottom, facing the center of the quilt (upside down), and the left side reading from bottom to top from the center.

That way your words would go around the quilt.

(Tail letters- can you tell I taught handwriting to kiddos? All those letters that go below the line, like g,p,q....
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Cathy F
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

It's personal preference. For me I put them on so you can read it around the quilt. Looking straight at the quilt I start with the top border as you would ordinarily read a sentence, then down the right side of the quilt letters facing in to to quilt, bottom border letters facing into the quilt, left border letters facing into the quilt. Hope this makes sense.
        Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• chelea
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2012

I agree with Katrina and Kathy. It might be different if it was a wall hanging but for a quilt you're gonna use it makes sense to be able to read it around the quilt.
          Michele
          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
          To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• snippet
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

I made a quilt with a word border and had this same dilemma. In the end, I decided to have the words facing out. If you use the quilt for a bed, the border hangs down, and I wanted the words to be read by someone standing near the bed.

But whatever way works for you is fine.

Comment

• birdscraps
              Block Queen
              • Jun 2018

I just had this same dilemma. I ended up having them go all the way around. I'm picking the quilt up from the longarmer tomorrow so will post a photo as soon as the binding is done.
              Gaye :icon_wave:

Comment

• JCY
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2013

If I have a directional fabric for the border, I generally have the top & bottom borders right side up, so one can read it as you look at the front of the quilt. The side borders, I face to the outside.

Comment

• Deegles
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2014

I say the baby wont care and cant read....so make it easy for you. The parents are going to love the gift and probably never question the direction of the wording.
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                    If I have a directional fabric for the border, I generally have the top & bottom borders right side up, so one can read it as you look at the front of the quilt. The side borders, I face to the outside.
                    This seems to make the most sense. Good thinking Joy
                    Jocelyn
                    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• cindirae
                      Binding Belle
                      • Oct 2013

I always place them so they face the quilt body. I want to draw the eye into the quilt. If they face outwards, it sends the eye out and away from the quilt.
                      Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• Bubby
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
                        It's personal preference. For me I put them on so you can read it around the quilt. Looking straight at the quilt I start with the top border as you would ordinarily read a sentence, then down the right side of the quilt letters facing in to to quilt, bottom border letters facing into the quilt, left border letters facing into the quilt. Hope this makes sense.

I do it this way also. Otherwise you are giving your quilt a set top and bottom. It also makes better use of your border fabric by cutting across the WOF.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                        X