Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Apple butter ? !

My mother use to make apple butter that was very good. I bought some at the Craft Fair I just was at. They were making it outside and also selling jars of it. I was SO disappointed, it was way too runny :-(. I tried making it a few years ago but it didn't succeed. I think I like the idea of taking the crockpot top off. I use to love apple butter on home made bread!

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I've never made apple butter - might do now as have plenty of apples in the garden - but have made lemon curd which sounds similar and is delicious on toast buttered with unsalted butter - quite refreshing. You need a heavy glass bowl that will fit snugly over a saucepan of simmering water - ensure that the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.

Ingredients:

Grated rind and juice of one large, unwaxed lemon
    3oz (75 grams) caster sugar
    2 large eggs (remove the umbilical cords)
    2oz (50 grams) unsalted butter cut into small cubes

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan, then turn down to a simmer. In the bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the eggs then add the grated lemon rind, sugar and cubed butter - stir to combine. Pop the bowl onto the saucepan of simmering water and stir continuously until the butter melts and the mixture begins to thicken - about 20 minutes.

This amount will fill a 12oz sterilised jar. Cover immediately and when cool keep refrigerated. Should eat this within two weeks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'll have to try the lemon curd! I think it will be great on palacsinta (Hungarian crepes)
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I used to make apple butter. Can't get it good and thick unless you dry it out in a slow oven. I spread it on sheetcake pans, and stir every hour or so til its thick enough.