Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Apple butter ? !

Hi

Is there any apple butter expert here ?

Since my sewing machine still is not fixed.
    I have not put it to the repair shop yet because I am saving money for a new dog.

I thought I needed to do something fun to lift my spirits. So I turned to youtube and found apple and pear butter in the slow cooker tutorials and got hooked.

So today I got a bunch of apples and decided to try it out for myself. And since I am gifted with a big and curious imagination , I started to wonder about other fruits. and combo of fruits.

I want a thick butter in the end. Therefore I think there must be lots of natural pectin in the fruit combined with lots of evaporation of juices.

If you start with apples and let it cook until mush and almost ready, then you put in rhubarb and strawberries.
    ( since these do not need a lengthy cooking time ). Do you think it would work ?

And If you decided to make pear butter, what if you put in chopped chocolate when the butter is done but before it cools down? Would it work ?

I am suffering from dual withdrawal , both from sewing and dog. I feel like I am climbing the walls.

Hm.. now I got hungry....

Oh I made strawberry and mint panna cotta last night.

I will be back.

Annika

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, KPH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Apple butter ? !

I have made apple butter from both apples as well as (purchased)applesauce. I use my crockpot with out the lid to cook it down. if i am using apples I wash and cut them, cook till soft then run thru my food mill/ strainer. return the sauce to crockpot to finish. I add either brown sugar and cinnamon or my kids favorite -red hots- to sweeten if necessary. I don't add anything else but I think you are correct in wanting to add softer fruit later so they don't overcook. I don't know how that would affect timing etc if you are planning on canning the apple butter. Last year I made pumpkin butter from canned pumpkin and everyone loved it. I got the recipe online
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

It’s difficult to find any apple butter, let alone good apple butter in the shopping store these days. Making apple butter is a great way to protect the fruits of an apple harvest. Apple butter is delightful on buttered toast. Although apple butter takes time to make the upfront part is easy. You do not have to peel or core the apples. I have explained you in detail. pls follow the instructions.

INGREDIENTS

4 lbs of good cooking apples (we use Granny Smith or Gravenstein)
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 cups water
    Sugar (about 4 cups, see cooking instructions)
    Salt
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon

Special equipment:

1 wide 8-quart pan (Stainless steel or copper with stainless steel lining)
    A food mill or a chinois sieve
    A large (8 cup) measuring cup pourer
    6-8 8-ounce canning jars

METHOD

1. PREPARING THE FRUIT

Cut the apples into quarters, without peeling or coring them. (Much of the pectin is in the cores and flavor in the peels). Cut out damaged parts.

2. FIRST STAGE OF COOKING
    Cook the apples: Put the quartered apples into a large pot, add the vinegar and water, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook until apples are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. PURÉE APPLES AND ADD THE SUGAR AND SPICES

Purée the apples through a food mill or chinois: Ladle apple mixture (cooked apples and liquid) into a chinois sieve (or food mill) and using a pestle force pulp from the chinois into a large bowl below.

SECOND STAGE OF COOKING

4. Cook the apple mixture, stirring often: Cook the apple sugar mixture uncovered in a large, wide, thick-bottomed pot on medium-low heat, stirring often to prevent burning. Scrape the bottom of the pot while you stir to make sure a crust is not forming at the bottom.

Cook until thick and smooth (about 1 to 2 hours). A small bit spooned onto a chilled (in the freezer) plate will be thick, not runny.

You can also cook the purée on low heat, stirring only occasionally, but this will take much longer as stirring encourages evaporation. (Note the wider the pan the better, as there is more surface for evaporation.)

As an alternative to stovetop cooking, you can cook the purée uncovered in a microwave, on medium heat setting to simmer, for around 30 minutes. If you do this, monitor the cooking every 5 or 10 minutes. Microwaves vary in their power.

5.CANNING

Sterilize canning jars: There are several ways to sterilize your jars for canning.

You can run them through a short cycle on your dishwasher.
    You can place them in a large pot (12 quarts) of water on top of a steaming rack (so they don't touch the bottom of the pan), and bring the water to a boil for 10 minutes.
    Or you can rinse out the jars, dry them, and place them, without lids, in a 200°F oven for 10 minutes.
    6. Pour the apple butter into hot, sterilized jars and seal. If you plan to store the apple butter un-refrigerated, make sure to follow proper canning procedures.

Before applying the lids, sterilize the lids by placing them in a bowl and pouring boiling water over them. Wipe the rims of the jars clean before applying the lids.

5. Thanks quilt_gems_25 thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shyla View Post
    It’s difficult to find any apple butter, let alone good apple butter in the shopping store these days. Making apple butter is a great way to protect the fruits of an apple harvest. Apple butter is delightful on buttered toast. Although apple butter takes time to make the upfront part is easy. You do not have to peel or core the apples. I have explained you in detail. pls follow the instructions.

INGREDIENTS

4 lbs of good cooking apples (we use Granny Smith or Gravenstein)
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 cups water
    Sugar (about 4 cups, see cooking instructions)
    Salt
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon

Special equipment:

1 wide 8-quart pan (Stainless steel or copper with stainless steel lining)
    A food mill or a chinois sieve
    A large (8 cup) measuring cup pourer
    6-8 8-ounce canning jars

METHOD

1. PREPARING THE FRUIT

Cut the apples into quarters, without peeling or coring them. (Much of the pectin is in the cores and flavor in the peels). Cut out damaged parts.

2. FIRST STAGE OF COOKING
    Cook the apples: Put the quartered apples into a large pot, add the vinegar and water, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook until apples are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. PURÉE APPLES AND ADD THE SUGAR AND SPICES

Purée the apples through a food mill or chinois: Ladle apple mixture (cooked apples and liquid) into a chinois sieve (or food mill) and using a pestle force pulp from the chinois into a large bowl below.

SECOND STAGE OF COOKING

4. Cook the apple mixture, stirring often: Cook the apple sugar mixture uncovered in a large, wide, thick-bottomed pot on medium-low heat, stirring often to prevent burning. Scrape the bottom of the pot while you stir to make sure a crust is not forming at the bottom.

Cook until thick and smooth (about 1 to 2 hours). A small bit spooned onto a chilled (in the freezer) plate will be thick, not runny.

You can also cook the purée on low heat, stirring only occasionally, but this will take much longer as stirring encourages evaporation. (Note the wider the pan the better, as there is more surface for evaporation.)

As an alternative to stovetop cooking, you can cook the purée uncovered in a microwave, on medium heat setting to simmer, for around 30 minutes. If you do this, monitor the cooking every 5 or 10 minutes. Microwaves vary in their power.

5.CANNING

Sterilize canning jars: There are several ways to sterilize your jars for canning.

You can run them through a short cycle on your dishwasher.
    You can place them in a large pot (12 quarts) of water on top of a steaming rack (so they don't touch the bottom of the pan), and bring the water to a boil for 10 minutes.
    Or you can rinse out the jars, dry them, and place them, without lids, in a 200°F oven for 10 minutes.
    6. Pour the apple butter into hot, sterilized jars and seal. If you plan to store the apple butter un-refrigerated, make sure to follow proper canning procedures.

Before applying the lids, sterilize the lids by placing them in a bowl and pouring boiling water over them. Wipe the rims of the jars clean before applying the lids.
    Oh!!! K let me try this week as you have instructed , and definitely will reply on the taste based on

7. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Very Much !!

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't made apple butter in awhile but did it in the slow cooker and didn't add any sugar.
    MissMay AKA May in Jersey

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissMay View Post
    I haven't made apple butter in awhile but did it in the slow cooker and didn't add any sugar.
    It depends a lot on the apples. My family's favorite is when I use cup of Redhots for flavor/sweetening. I honestly don't follow a recipe. I do refer back to the Ball Blue book if I can it, though
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I made peach butter this year.

Skin, pit, slice, cook then taste test to decide how much sugar to add.
    The recipe I used called for 6 Cups cooked peaches to 4 &1/2 Cups sugar. I found 2C of sugar to be plenty.
    I used pectin for low sugar to thicken it.

OH and fruit fresh in with the peaches at start of cooking made them stay a beautiful color. I followed the recommended amount on the package.
    Lemon juice was used in batch 2 and worked just as well.

A hand blender made quick work of smoothing out the peaches.
    When using pectin it really helps to stir it into some granulated sugar so it doesn't lump up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy all my spices from this online company and they have lots of good recipes. It's a slow cooker recipe for apple butter.
    https://www.myspicesage.com/recipe/index/index/id/101

Lorie

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

We also make pumpkin butter. My mother always said when you make apple butter you have to have some windfalls in the mix to make the test richer. I think they just make it darker brown, but I never argued with Mama.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.