Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A nice chat...

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A nice chat...

Some comments are best left inside our heads. Why start such 8th grade drama? I hope all at retreat are having fun

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    Some comments are best left inside our heads. Why start such 8th grade drama? I hope all at retreat are having fun
    We are having a great time! Getting a lot done!

3. Thanks auntiemern, Monique, dwil23, Claire Hallman, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not picking on anyone, but this thread is sad. So much hostility. Not like the usual happy, positive banter and conversations
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

5. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... I have to agree with cv quilter on this.

I haven't been to the forum retreat but I've been to their hosted retreats. You -can- use your CPAP there, you can request a nightstand ahead of time and they will provide one, and most people are respectful of other people's possessions. And there are indeed plenty of ear plugs.

At their hosted retreats, food and entertainment is included in the price, so that does make a huge difference in value over a regular hotel (plus there's nothing like being able to sew all hours of the night). They give you a TON of goodies (templates, patterns, panels, etc). And then there's the garage sale... not sure how much I'm allowed to say about the garage sale, but I spent quite a bit of $ there too.

7. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest the moderators close down this thread. It was a disappointment to me as well.

9. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midnightline View Post
    Wow... I have to agree with cv quilter on this.

I haven't been to the forum retreat but I've been to their hosted retreats. You -can- use your CPAP there, you can request a nightstand ahead of time and they will provide one, and most people are respectful of other people's possessions. And there are indeed plenty of ear plugs.

At their hosted retreats, food and entertainment is included in the price, so that does make a huge difference in value over a regular hotel (plus there's nothing like being able to sew all hours of the night). They give you a TON of goodies (templates, patterns, panels, etc). And then there's the garage sale... not sure how much I'm allowed to say about the garage sale, but I spent quite a bit of $ there too.
    Exactly the same at the forum retreat. Meals are furnished, and we have mini classes...(no entertainment provided, we provide our own.) MSQC has ALWAYS given the forum members special considerations at our retreats, and this year was no different, as they gave as an extra day at the same price, as their sponsored retreats. An amazing time was had by all of us....and there were no pranks played.
    What is sad, is that some people think it is ok, to unplug total strangers expensive machines, or to turn them off, or to cut someones thread , and mess with their cellphones. All of this behavior happened last year, and was reported to the leader of our group. Thankfully, whoever the culprits were did not grace us with their presence this year, and doubtfully will be back...because lets face it...if ya can't jump on the beds, and and be a PITA to those around you...it just may not be quite as fun. Hope than some of you can join us next year...because we really do have a GREAT time. We are all already looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by auntiemern; September 27th, 2018 at 07:19 PM.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    It's kind of too bad about the limit on commuter tickets. I have sleep issues so could never stay at the retreat center...just to give some perspective as to why one would choose not to stay there. Some people have to use CPAP machines and that's not really appropriate for communal sleeping arrangements.
    I have to agree. I'm uncomfortable enough sleeping away from home without being expected to sleep with total strangers.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    I have to agree. I'm uncomfortable enough sleeping away from home without being expected to sleep with total strangers.
    There is no sleeping with strangers, everyone gets their own bed.

But, it's really more about getting to know new people, sewing with them and making friends. You can glean great information from other quilters, help someone who needs it and or oooo and ahhh over all the talent you are exposed to by being with such a diverse group.

I guess retreats aren't for everyone. I understand people have quirks and issues, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm going out on a limb and saying that there was just the right amount of people there, and all the right people showed up. Well, except Judy had to stay home... and yet was still a part of it all.

I have a friend who does a quilting retreat in the woods every year... Not for me. And she does one at a Hotel. There are just all kinds I suppose. I absolutely LOVE that I can walk out the door of the retreat center and go into any one of the shops and buy anything I want or need right there. No one complained about my snoring... but, I was in a room by myself with 6 beds... I had the perfect roomate... ME!! My left knee hates stairs, but I climbed them. I don't care for continental breakfast, so I took the opportunity to sleep in each morning, cuts down on anxiety. I nailed Pajama day... LOL. I was the only person at JJ's for lunch in curlers and a bathrobe. I overheard one woman say, "I guess they just roll out of bed and go out around here."... BEST response ever!!

My husband missed me, and asked me to come home early, I said, "I can't, I still have money." I hate goodbyes, and I hate carrying my own luggage, but I did them both when the time came.

I came home, left the car loaded, put on my PJ's and took a Wonderful nap. I haven't been so blissfully tired in a long time.

God bless all who came, you made this ol'e girls year... If laughter does a body good.... I'm in great shape!! I won't forget you, if you need me... call me. I'll be here.

13. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    There is no sleeping with strangers, everyone gets their own bed.

But, it's really more about getting to know new people, sewing with them and making friends. You can glean great information from other quilters, help someone who needs it and or oooo and ahhh over all the talent you are exposed to by being with such a diverse group.

I guess retreats aren't for everyone. I understand people have quirks and issues, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm going out on a limb and saying that there was just the right amount of people there, and all the right people showed up. Well, except Judy had to stay home... and yet was still a part of it all.

I have a friend who does a quilting retreat in the woods every year... Not for me. And she does one at a Hotel. There are just all kinds I suppose. I absolutely LOVE that I can walk out the door of the retreat center and go into any one of the shops and buy anything I want or need right there. No one complained about my snoring... but, I was in a room by myself with 6 beds... I had the perfect roomate... ME!! My left knee hates stairs, but I climbed them. I don't care for continental breakfast, so I took the opportunity to sleep in each morning, cuts down on anxiety. I nailed Pajama day... LOL. I was the only person at JJ's for lunch in curlers and a bathrobe. I overheard one woman say, "I guess they just roll out of bed and go out around here."... BEST response ever!!

My husband missed me, and asked me to come home early, I said, "I can't, I still have money." I hate goodbyes, and I hate carrying my own luggage, but I did them both when the time came.

I came home, left the car loaded, put on my PJ's and took a Wonderful nap. I haven't been so blissfully tired in a long time.

God bless all who came, you made this ol'e girls year... If laughter does a body good.... I'm in great shape!! I won't forget you, if you need me... call me. I'll be here.
    Girl, that's why you won the " You Nailed it!" Award! This comment nails the reason why this retreat was the best one yet! Glad to have shared the week with you!

15. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

To me this was the best retreat yet. These women are so supportive of each other and willing to share there many talents. I left with my heart so full of happiness, can't wait for next year.
    Bernice

17. Thanks auntiemern, Astatoo thanked for this post