Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A nice chat...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A nice chat...

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post

I went just one time for a retreat. The beds were comfortable but they put four beds in one room. I had no where to place my glasses because there was not even a night stand between beds. And there was only about a foot between beds. One lady's bed was put in front of the only closet in the room.
    I heard that some of the beds may be removed because of the space issue. I just checked the number of beds for the November Wild West Retreat and it has 4 ADA and 33 upstairs. But looking at the March Back to the 50's has 4 ADA and 28 upstairs. Looks like they may be removing 5 beds ` 1 each from rooms 6 through 10.

Also noted that there is a limit of 2 commuter tickets for every retreat. I think they were being generous with the number of commuter tickets that were allowed for the Forum Retreat that one year. I've also known of retreaters who were traveling with their husbands and they stayed at the Sewing Center while their husbands stayed at a hotel.

IMO, Room availability shouldn't be a reflection on the retreaters ... more of a now-standard Missouri Star policy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post

IMO, Room availability shouldn't be a reflection on the retreaters ... more of a now-standard Missouri Star policy.
    And I have no problem with that. Living several states away, by the time I fly back and pay for the retreat, it is close to $1000. When I can share a hotel room with one or two other people, it is a couple hundred dollars less.

It's nice to have options.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of too bad about the limit on commuter tickets. I have sleep issues so could never stay at the retreat center...just to give some perspective as to why one would choose not to stay there. Some people have to use CPAP machines and that's not really appropriate for communal sleeping arrangements.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    It's kind of too bad about the limit on commuter tickets. I have sleep issues so could never stay at the retreat center...just to give some perspective as to why one would choose not to stay there. Some people have to use CPAP machines and that's not really appropriate for communal sleeping arrangements.
    And I snore, so no one would want me in the same room, even DH doesn't sleep in the same room with me!

5. Thanks Carolnnc, bubba, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    Some people have to use CPAP machines and that's not really appropriate for communal sleeping arrangements.
    There have been CPAP machines at the retreats where I have gone. I wouldn't worry about that being a problem, they didn't bother anyone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    And I snore, so no one would want me in the same room, even DH doesn't sleep in the same room with me!
    I believe they have a supply of ear plugs too!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would still love to go to a retreat (anywhere), for the fun of quilting, learning, meeting new friends and a break from the routine. I think that is their goal. Right?

Having said that, I have traveled most of my working life, and I got used to a high standard of accommodation. Personal travel is the same. I don't camp, RV or don't do cottages any more. I like to have the comforts of home when I am away from home. I travel first class by air or rail, and stay in the best hotels in the city. I use spa facilities while travelling, so my arthritis and back issues don't cause me problems. I do room service as I need 'alone' time to remain friendly. And I do need a lot of alone time. You might say this is weird, but I also don't want to subject my possible roommates to my heavy snoring and flatulence that could peel the paint off the walls. When I explore sewing retreats, I look for single accommodation.

I have stayed in Cameron, and while it was a nice little hotel with comfortable beds, it was only 'ok'.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is what is... a retreart center. It's in a building they rescued thats been around since the wild west days... some groups are very large and they need more beds. Other groups... might not see the need for so many beds. If you've ever seen the KC quilters guild, they can't fit here. You only spend so much time in bed... so, theres that. If you wanna retreat, this is the place for you... its very clean, the people are fun and helpful. They can't please everyone, but if you can adapt and enjoy sewing with your forum friends, maybe you will come. We are having a great time this year!

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I am also past the time where I want to share a room with people even if I know them.i sleep with a white noise sound machine . I like to go to bed early. I only go to retreats that have the option of single rooms. I will pay extra for it.

13. Thanks auntstuff, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baslp View Post
    I am also past the time where I want to share a room with people even if I know them.i sleep with a white noise sound machine . I like to go to bed early. I only go to retreats that have the option of single rooms. I will pay extra for it.
    Well, this is probably not the retreat center for you... I'm sure the is one for you somewhere. Goodluck!