I lost all confidence in my confidence quilting machine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NancyR
    UN-Biased
    • Sep 2018

Re: I lost all confidence in my confidence quilting machine.

Am so sorry you've had such issues with your Singer. To be honest, I've heard similar stories here in England and a friend who has a Pfaff has also had issues - just couldn't get the stitch tension right at all. Her machine spent more time in repair than in her sewing area. I think, in the end, the shop was just as sick of the sight of it as my friend and they changed it - to a lower model. But did give her the balance in cost between the two.

Good luck with your new machine and many happy hours sewing.
    Life isn't measured by the breaths that you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Babs quilts
      Binding Belle
      • Sep 2018

So far it is working well!
      I made a star table topper with it.
      IMG_20181008_103528.jpg
      It's about 3' point to point. This was taken before adding batting and backing.

Comment

• Babs quilts
        Binding Belle
        • Sep 2018

I have been working on the herringbone quilt.
        That big throat space on the Brother machine is very helpful!
        IMG_20181012_145608.jpg

Comment

• Deegles
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2014

Quality machines are still being made in Japan. Most machines made in china are throw away machines. Singer has lost its reputation a long time ago. I would clear out any lint in the bobbin area and see if there are any oiling points. It may need oiled. If you are having skipped stitches, ta new needle, or needle size. You are used to your old machine and the regular habits with it. This machine may be finicky with thread or needles. Your singer may need a pressure adjustment for your pressure foot. That would explain why it does not go over your seams. Review your manual for troubleshooting. It may help.
          Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Babs quilts
            Binding Belle
            • Sep 2018

The manual says it is threaded incorrectly for just about everything. Never mentions anywhere that the presser foot pressure is adjustable...... I still want to love the machine. I was referred to a shop next town over. They have a great reputation and aren't high pressure sales. Once our cold snap is done I just may have to take a trip up there.

The singer would be nice for piecing if I can get the bugs worked out of it.

Comment

• Heather1967
              Binding Belle
              • Mar 2010

Unfortunately, Singers are temperamental miserable machines. My mom had one it was stupid, I bought one because that's what I learned on, it was stupid. I will never buy another Singer, you couldn't even pay me to take one off your hands.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I'd give them a call and see what can be done.
              🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

• Snip Snip
                Missouri Star
                • Sep 2014

I remember having a problem with my singer...a small one I have had a while: Turns out I was using the wrong kind of bobbin. It looked just like the ones that came with the machine, but there was a very slight difference. I almost needed a magnifying glass to see what was different. The wrong bobbins were a lot cheaper than the right ones, by the way.

Comment

• Brian
                  UN-Biased
                  • Sep 2017

Singer still markets a few industrial machines but their domestic line has nothing to offer that isn't made from aluminum and plastic. The good old iron Singers were designed to last for decades these new ones are designed to last a few hundred hours. Sad but true. Get a Juki and be done with it.

Comment

• Babs quilts
                    Binding Belle
                    • Sep 2018

I haven't had time to get the machine back out.
                    I have only used the bobbin that came with the machine. I would hope the manufacturer would at least put the right one in the box.

I do still want to get it figured out so my Brother machine can be for quilting and the Singer for piecing.

I do still have my ancient Brother machine........ Still need to have it serviced.

Life gets crazy sometimes......

Comment

• pcrihfield
                      Block Queen
                      • Oct 2012

I bought a Singer Confidence Quilter back in 2013, I should have taken it back to Joann's right away but was busy with my Dad and Christmas time. The machine sounded like it was running over railroad tracks and was making loops on the bottom side of the fabric. I took it to a repair guy and he didn't fix it, so had my husband work on it and he fixed it. (should have saved the money spent on the repair man) But within 5 minutes I messed it up and threw it out of time by putting on the wrong walking foot. I bought a Janome, actually I bought 2 Janome's that year. Finally took the Singer to another repair guy and he fixed it so it ran good and was somewhat quieter, then I let it sit for a few years. I got it out this week to hem some jeans, it sews fine but sounds like it's running over railroad tracks again. lol. At least it works, that's something. Sorry for the long story. Anyway, I won't ever buy another new Singer, not worth it. But give me any old black Singer, love them.

Comment

Working...
                      X