Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Storing Featherweight accessories

Yesterday I took a Featherweight Maintenance class in Columbus, OH. Nova Montgomery (www.novamontgomery.com) travels the country and teaches you how to clean and maintain your Featherweight. It was a very good class, and my machine is purring like a kitten! I can't wait to sew with her!

I bought my Featherweight about five years ago, and have never used it, which is why I took the class. I have the case, but the handle is breaking, so I bought a soft sided case. My machine had all of the feet with it, thrown into the top of the hard case. My question is this: How do you store your feet? I don't just want to throw them into a bag or box. Quilters are resourceful, so I know you will all have suggestions regarding storage of feet.

Thanks so much!
    Michele
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Storing Featherweight accessories

The feet generally were housed in a small box. I have several featherweights and other vintage machines. That's where I keep them.

Handles for your case can be purchased from the Featherweight Shop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp05DELbvxM Super people and service. They have many videos which you might find useful.

Even with a new handle, or what appears to be a great case, I am careful when I transport them. As you know, the box is wooden and after many years around could not be as secure as you would like it to hold your baby safely. There are many tutorials out there for making a case to go over it which have supporting straps and protection for the case. Here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ucDCkIqju4
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made the case mentioned above and like it. As for storing the accessory feet I made a Sweetpea Pod by Lazy Girl Designs to hold them. While my accessory feet came with a cardboard box, it was falling apart and was no longer useful for its intended purpose.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep the little tray that came with the box in the drawer by my machine and the case stays in the closet. The FW that travels with me is just used for piecing quilts so all I carry is the piecing foot and extra bobbins in a plastic box. The machine goes in a rolling cart stuffed with all my projects and other sewing accessories. I love to take it with me to sew days and retreats.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I found a rolling case at Joann's to transport my FW in - in the car and to retreats not on a plane. I bought it at a Joann's a while back either on sale or with a coupon. I think it was a scrapbook tote but the machine fits, is safe and it works for me. My feet are in a plastic box like fishermen use for lures or hooks. Fits right in a pocket in the case!
    Weren't you fortunate to take that class! Good for you.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    I found a rolling case at Joann's to transport my FW in - in the car and to retreats not on a plane. I bought it at a Joann's a while back either on sale or with a coupon. I think it was a scrapbook tote but the machine fits, is safe and it works for me. My feet are in a plastic box like fishermen use for lures or hooks. Fits right in a pocket in the case!
    Weren't you fortunate to take that class! Good for you.
    I was going to suggest a tackle box lure keeper.
    You beat me to it!

Now I need to get one too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have a featherweight but what I use is a compartment-type plastic box, about 7x11. I found a set of 3 several years ago. I have one for my Brother feet, one for my Juki and the third holds my machine needles(yeah I have a lot, buy them in bulk). I write which machine they go to on the box with a sharpie and the box gets put away in the case for that particular machine. I am not a very organized person but this has saved me a lot of frustration
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine