Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Sept 21 - 27, 2018

Sounds like everybody had a productive week this week!

Fall seems to finally be on the way here in Kansas with cooler temps today. I'm hoping for a nice long autumn with crisp nights and warm (but not hot) days. Mother Nature owes us on since she scrimped on spring!!!

I am working on a block (#19 of 25) for 'It was the 80s" that is oversized (one of the corners) and is made up of five 'Friendship Star' blocks and some sashing. I'm getting lots of practice on half square triangle in this quilt!

What's going on in your world?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Sept 21 - 27, 2018

Well, yesterday I was cutting a border for a top I have done (Jenny's Floating Hexagons) and I was supposed to be cutting 4.5 inch strips but I was actually cutting 5.5 inch ones, since I forgot that my ruler is six inches wide, not five. Soooo, it's a darn good thing that this fabric is still available on Etsy as Riley Blake's Bloom & Bliss is a couple years old. :P I'm about to get back to my Halloween crazy quilt, which is a lot more fun. I'll be sewing beads on today and I bought a big bag of bugle beads at Jo-Ann's, so I'm ready to roll.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On jelly roll day I started Jenny's square in a square and continued on Wednesday, which is supposed to be my sewing day but couldn't start until nearly noon. I finished the squares and had a couple of hours today to put them on my design wall (a piece of batting wedged under boxes at the top of wardrobes). Just a couple left to sew the sashing on one side then iron and attach the rows of sashing. Probably won't get to play any further until next week. It'll go onto my UFO pile as I need to concentrate on getting my autumn quilt finished for me and DH log cabin finished in time for his birthday early November.

Hope everyone has a good week.

5. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been on vacation for 8 days. Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico was amazing. I lost track of how many times I said wow.

I have now finished the first half of my wool table runner. This is so much fun it is addicting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4672.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	155225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4675.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	155226
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the Saints quilt and posted it in Show and Tell. Now back to my other projects.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished sewing the top that was a guild summer challenge. A LQS donated many similar children alphabet block panels. Our challenge was to finish it, making it larger or keeping as a baby quilt. I need to quilt before our next meeting on Oct 9. I also did some alterations and prepping to make pillows for my friend, to match the quilt I made her.

Our capital was hit on Friday with EF3 tornados, travelling south west to the north in a heavy populated area. There were also an EF2 and several EF1 in the region, for a total of 6. Over 250k homes were without power and whole areas gone. Our son & his family lost power, so they came over so they could boil water for the babies formula and to recharge phones and get a break. Their power was restored Sunday. Our area did not get direct hits, but winds were quite scary. We hunkered down in the basement with the cats.

Monday my friend and I attempted to load and quilt on a new-to-her Janome 1600p on a Gracie frame. Well after 5 hours, we had loaded the quilt, and managed to sew the top row of basting. Nothing else. We had to figure out threading the machine. How the control on handlebar worked, needle breaks. We quit for the day. We will try again on Thursday. Tuesday we will get training by leader of volunteer group that has loaned to us. We hope to get 25+ donation quilts done.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been working at getting my new Juki sit down machine integrated into my sewing room. That required a lot of hard work and some sawing of countertops [made of ??? concrete perhaps] was a big job. Now I am a bit intimidated by it. I have watched lots of videos, gotten it threaded, wound a bobbin, all I need to do is oil and get sewing. Scary.
    I also need to oil up the featherweight, check my travel bag, pack, and I will be ready to go to retreat tomorrow.
    I want to fmq some today, too, but a scheduled lunch out with former coworkers may prevent that.
    Tomorrow will be the start of 4 days of sewing, yippee!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Claire..how exciting!!! You will love a sit down long arm! Have fun at retreat

I have been working on quilting my Farm Girl Vintage Quilt on my Baby Lock Tiara III sit down LA. Normally I do an all over design and can have a quilt done in a day or so. But I've decided to quilt each block individually, something different on each block, depending on what I think would work. I've been trying to use Angela Walters techniques and designs.. Ha Ha! I'm no threat to Angela. I have 20 blocks and sashing and a wide border, for a top measuring 63 x 77. I now have 14 of the 20 blocks quilted. It's taken me longer than I anticipated to get as far as I have, but it's been fun. Of course, my hope is that once it's all done and washed and dried, it'll look good and one won't see all of my boo boos. I am learning a lot as I go, and getting more confidence.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post