Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spice Rack Quilt

Id like to make this with layer cake squares instead of charm squares, would anyone know what size I need to make the chevron squares to accomplish this?
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spice Rack Quilt

I don't have your answer, but I love the idea of using larger blocks.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have your answer, but I love the idea of using larger blocks. The only thing I can think of is to make up some blocks using scraps and trim them to size?
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps this link will help...

http://www.mywebquilter.com/standard...squaretri.aspx

If I'm reading it correctly, (using the 2 hst method) cut your squares 7/8 inch larger than the results you want. Sounds like you would want finished hst's of 5.25 inches, so you would add 7/8 inches to that and cut your squares at 6 3/8th inches. Layer your two fabrics squares, draw a line diagonally from corner to corner, sew a 1/4 inch seam on each side of your drawn line, and then cut along the drawn line - end up with two hst's.

But please don't take my word for it ( I stink at geometry, or is this algebra?), try it with some scrap fabric first!

Personally, I would start with squares a tad bit bigger (6.5 inches) and trim & square down to the desired 5.25 inches. It might take a bit more work, but you would end up with better looking chevrons in the end.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Caroline T.
    I was confused as to the finished square being 5.25 or 5.5. But I guess even if it is 5.25 and I use the 5.5 measurements I just trim it down. I’m going to try it with some scraps, I’ll let you know how it goes. Unfortunately I work late the rest of the week so I won’t get to my sewing room, but this is definitely my first project when I get there. If it doesn’t work I’ll try the larger 6.5 and trim.
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Caroline T is right. You need to make your hst 5.25 and they will make a 10 inch chevron block. Now I can use a layer cake instead of a charm pack. Thank you so much! I guess this will be my next quilt!
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Caroline T was right! I made a test block and it worked out perfectly. I’m now squaring up my 5.25 HST then will start putting the blocks together I’ll post when I have some done. Thank you!
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn