Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever made a slip cover for a sofa?

I would like to make a slip cover for my sofa. Luckily, it has "square" edges/corners. Nothing is curved.

Would I be crazy to try such a thing?

Does anyone have any advice and/or sources they could direct me to learn how to do it?

I don't want a "stretchy" one. I want one like you'd see at pottery barn, -- not sure what kind of fabric that is, like some kind of canvas?

Also, re sewing machines for such a purpose, I have a vintage singer (all metal), and I'm thinking that might work from what others have said about such machines. What do you think?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone ever made a slip cover for a sofa?

I made slip cover for a chair and ottoman once and was very pleased with it. I literally wore it out.
    I used cotton drapery 54 inch fabric. Put piping around it. Zipper in the back for a snug fit. I borrowed a half dozen books from the library. This fall I'll be making a replacement set. If I can do it, you can too.
    Diana Grey

3. Thanks cv quilter, kaydee thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I did, a very long time ago, when I was more ambitious. It isn't difficult; just tedious.

5. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it, it will not be on my list of things to do again. There is probably a video on you tube with instructions. If it is fairly simple sofa it won't be too hard. You can fit the fabric on it wrong side out, pin the seams then gently remove it to sew. Your older Singer will probably do the trick.

7. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have and it takes a lot of pins! I did pretty much what this video shows. This is the same shape couch too! There was no You tube back then. But I took a pattern making class for clothing and just tried from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hxKQDB8_Y&t=1365s

Lorie

9. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it. I agree with the Home Décor fabric being great fabric for this purpose, and utube videos are great! Measuring is the key, and as you drape the fabric over the couch to get your pattern, as Lorie said, lots of pins. I'm sure which singer vintage machine you have, but many of them could handle the job. I have recovered dinette cushions and just take the old cushion covers apart and used that for pattern, but an entire slip cover is a lot different. This is one chart I found with a calculator to figure yardage needed.
    https://www.discounteddesignerfabric...yardage-chart/
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

11. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did back in the 80's and as I recall, it was a relatively easy job. I used some kind of a soft upholstery fabric that resembled microfiber of today. I measured the seat and back and cut out a large piece for that and then I stitched on the arms and skirt. Your machine should do a good job. Making piping is an easy job too and really makes the cover look much more professional

13. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I have and it takes a lot of pins! I did pretty much what this video shows. This is the same shape couch too! There was no You tube back then. But I took a pattern making class for clothing and just tried from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hxKQDB8_Y&t=1365s
    I'm sure you can do it! I've done several and also reupholstered, too. Just takes patience since it really is a big project. Piping makes them look more professional and zippers down the back side or one side (hidden in the corner seam) make for a super snug fit! Hope you tackle it and show the before and after pics. I've also done fitted bedspreads. Sure make the job of making the bed easy peasy.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

15. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I think I will give it a try in October. I'm tempted to try it out of a cheap muslin first. We'll see.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

I think I will give it a try in October. I'm tempted to try it out of a cheap muslin first. We'll see.
    Good idea, particularly if you are going for a really high-end finished fabric. You don't have to use muslin to create a pattern. I've used ugly reasonably good cotton that I had on hand. Really cheap muslin may shift or skew when you pin. Just a comment.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

18. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post