Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Fleece Backing

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fleece Backing

I'm so disgusted. I noticed that 2 of my quilts that I had made with fleece backing started to come apart at the seams after washing. I have another quilt I backed with fleece and have washed it a couple times without any issues. Do you think it's because I didn't wash and dry the fleece first before using? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Tracie T; September 16th, 2018 at 04:02 PM.
    Tracie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fleece Backing

I didn't wash the fleece I used prior to using it for backing. Sorry you're having problems with yours.

3. Thanks Tracie T thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the problem is with those particular quilts-maybe your seams weren't as even or the fabric was a looser weave. I have used fleece on quilts for years, never pre-wash anything. Any issues I have had-and there have been very few-I can trace right back to my own carelessness about seam allowance
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

5. Thanks Tracie T thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a point of interest, I belong to a Project Linus group and we've recently been informed by our hospital connections that the traditional 3-layer quilt it too heavy for very sick children. Using lightweight fleece, such as that sold as small blankets at IKEA, works very well as backing/batting with quilt tops. They're lighter and durable .

7. Thanks Claire Hallman, dwil23 thanked for this post