Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Help and NEWBIE

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help and NEWBIE

I have finished my quilt blocks and used wonder under to secure the appliques to the blocks. My question is...do I need to sew them down or just send the top in and allow the quilting to secure them further?

Thank you!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help and NEWBIE

what does the directions that come with the Wonder Under say? some requires sewing and some you cannot sew through!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I have done applique on a quilt that is going to be used I either do a buttonhole stitch or a small zig-zag stitch around the applique, I have used wonder under and have not had a problem stitching the applique work. I sent an orange peel quilt out to be quilted which is appliqued and the pantogram quilting doesn't necessarily mean the appliques will all be stitched down.. If you want the appliques to be stitched to insure they don't lift you may need to have a custom quilting done.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would stitch around the appliques just to make sure they won't peel up later.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome
    It all depends upon which type of wonder under was used. Some require stitching down and some do not require it.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Northeast Ohio!

How often to you plan to wash the quilt? I used appliqué on a quilt for my mom, so I planned for frequent washings and used a satin stitch on the appliqué. When I appliqué a wall-hanging, I just topstitch near the edge because I know it won't be washed very often and fraying is not a concern. You could also use a zig-zag stitch or a blanket stitch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Welcome 4.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	155083
    Last edited by JulieC; September 15th, 2018 at 06:07 AM.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Just my personal opinion- Raw edge never looks finished without being stitched down. Unless there's a good reason for colored thread, Mono-Poly and a blanket stitch finish it nicely.

As mentioned, another consideration is usage and anticipated washing. I've also found that if you iron much during the piecing the adhesive seems to lose some of it's edge holding ability, and will raise slightly when handling. When in doubt, stitch it.
    Tip for the day: Don't use basting spray on your Thanksgiving turkey.