Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Straight to the point?

Has anyone ever done the "Straight to the Point" series of quilts? Here's the link-
    https://www.quiltwoman.com/Straight-...-Patterns.aspx

This is where you construct the quilt sewing the blocks in a straight set- cut it apart into three pieces- sew it back together and voila. Set on point.

My question is- Is there a formula somewhere for cutting any size quilt so I don't have to follow a set pattern?
    Tip for the day: Don't use basting spray on your Thanksgiving turkey.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Straight to the point?

I just rewatched M* tut on "charms on point", at about 6 min in she mentions using "half" as the cut point. Her charms were sewn together in 6 x 12 for the row amounts. I know it is not the "formula" per se, but it might help you figure something out.
    https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...int-with-jenny
    It seems to me that the blocks themselves need to be each a square in size. Quilt math is "new match" to me ! LOL

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Got Squares Straight to the Point quilt pattern for $9. It would be a perfect one for my big print fabrics.
    Hmmm, wonder if I could make this without buying the pattern. Looks pretty simple. Thanks for posting.
    Linda

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

This was a new technique to me, and interesting because maybe half the quilts I've done are set on point. It's so fun being new to quilting because something new pops up every day.

Mimi- thanks. Jenny's tute provides for a square finished quilt. After watching that, the formula is easy and can be for pretty much any size as long as it's square. I'm wanting it for a finished rectangle.

Linda- If we knew the formula, yes we could make quilts without the patterns. But, the width to length ratio is important, and where to make the cuts depends on the size. So, I'm thinking the pattern is necessary, at least for the first one. I have the "Chock full of Charms" pattern (which is no longer listed). It is specific about number of blocks- W/L ratio with regards to where to cut.

Size could be adjusted by changing block size, or number of blocks overall, but the W/L ratio is important.

Most quilt patterns are no doubt developed with some prototyping. Maybe that's what I'll be doing, but on paper. If a light bulb goes off, you'll be the first to know.
    Tip for the day: Don't use basting spray on your Thanksgiving turkey.