Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing Forecast about Hurricane Florence

As the storm approaches it has decreased from a Category 4 to a 2. Landfall has moved 50 miles further south to Wilmington, NC, ... and some models even put it further south into the Myrtle Beach SC area. Winds have decreased from 140 to 110. So there are more areas under the potential wind and storm surge threat now along the Eastern coast.

Addressing my personal situation is simple. I will lose power - always do during hurricanes and nor'easters - nothing unusual. Bought the generator years ago (will only run computer on battery power to prevent computer damage.) If there were even a hint of flooding danger in my neighborhood I would have left. But I am at the top of a hill. In fact the end of the road at the end of my street and even the neighbors behind me are 35ft below my lot level. Stocked up with plenty of non perishable food & water (bathtub and every sink is full.) 2 neighbors have grills. Camp Lejeune is between my house and the ocean and they are opening on base shelters but not evacuating any families. Carol in Durham will feel the rain and wind effects but hopefully it's a better outlook for her too.

Now is the time to join me and pray and think good thoughts for those along the southern NC shoreline and barrier islands along with the entire SC shore. They will face the strong winds and rain inundation resulting in flooding. For those who evacuated it may be a long time for the roads leading back to home to dry out. I expect the interstates will be flooded for quite a few days in both of the Carolinas.

If you are a forum member in this affected area please keep us updated on your status. I have a forum friend who will post for me. Thanks for the good thoughts!
    Last edited by Judy, USMC; September 13th, 2018 at 03:41 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Changing Forecast about Hurricane Florence

Sounds like you are as prepared as possible. It's true, you never know exactly where these things will go. Stay safe and prayers for all in harm's way.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So thankful for the downgrade! I'll continue to pray for you and all those affected.......still won't be a walk in the park, even with the downgrade......but much better.

I also heard that it's going to move a lot slower than first predicted, so more rain.

My moms near Fayetteville, NC.......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Be safe Judy. Prayers for all those in the storm's path.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Be safe all in the storm's path
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep blowing hot air in your direction, hoping I have enough to keep that baby out to sea, slow her down, and turn her inside out and upside down. Hugs, Judy!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. You and everyone affected are in my thoughts. We are following on weather and news channels.

Be careful, be safe.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Judy, I'm thrilled with the shifts and changes from over night.

Jerrod called yesterday afternoon. His room mate hasn't been in the Charlotte area long enough to know about these things. They closed schools in Charlotte for Thursday and Friday as many of the larger schools are being used as shelters. So his room mate was ready to bug out. Jerrod was like, Katrina- what do you think? That map keeps changing but in my heart, I think it's going to be a windy rain event in Gaston Co.

I still have lots of friends and family all over NC and SC, so my thoughts and prayers are with them as they are with all the the residents in the path of Flo. She's still fierce and covering lots of territory.

Be safe.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Continued thoughts and prayers for you and all others in harms way..... please stay safe!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Whew. That sounds a lot better than a 140 mph eyewall going right over your house! :P