• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kensington
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Life happens...

Well, remember when we were talking about giving a quilt as a wedding gift? I gave my niece her quilt at her Shower and she loved it. She loves quilts. The colors were perfect she said.

And now it's back here with me, waiting to see what will become of it now.... She cancelled her Wedding, which would have been yesterday, and returned all the gifts she had received so far. I went to meet her to pick it up and the other gift I had given her. She was very open and honest as to why she cancelled. We talked for a long time. Uh... such is life.

DSC06042.jpg
  • dwil23
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Re: Life happens...

Originally posted by kensington View Post
    Well, remember when we were talking about giving a quilt as a wedding gift? I gave my niece her quilt at her Shower and she loved it. She loves quilts. The colors were perfect she said.

And now it's back here with me, waiting to see what will become of it now.... She cancelled her Wedding, which would have been yesterday, and returned all the gifts she had received so far. I went to meet her to pick it up and the other gift I had given her. She was very open and honest as to why she cancelled. We talked for a long time. Uh... such is life.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]154981[/ATTACH]
    Sorry to hear.... that is a heartbreaking decision to make.
    Donna

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
      Missouri Star
      • May 2013

It is always sad to hear of a breakup like this. Prayers to your niece. I am sure you will find the right home for the quilt.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Bouse
        The Guild President
        • Aug 2014

Better to cancel before the event that go through with it when you know it's not the right thing for whatever reason. It's a brave decision to make. It's a beautiful quilt and will find the right forever home.

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

As sad as this situation is, it's better to cancel the wedding than get a divorce later.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• KarenC
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2015

Sad news, but you know she'said a strong person to be able to make that decision. My god child cancelled hers the week of the wedding. She was heartbroken. She is now happily married to someone else and expecting her first child. Prayers for her.
            Karen
            Spring, TX

Comment

• Georgie Girl
              The Guild President
              • Apr 2017

It may seem sad but I look at it as your niece having the strength to do what is best for her and not what everyone else will think or want. Good for her. She will be happier for it. Easier to cancel the wedding then go thru an emotional, expensive divorce.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

A very courageous decision on her part. That is one beautiful quilt you do great work :-)
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• grammaterry
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2015

My DD#2 canceled her wedding 3 days before the big hoopla and we called 300 people and told them they were not invited. We sent out funny faux invitations with the you're NOTinvited monogram and we canceled the florist, the caterer, the photographer, etc. Then, I hightailed it with the first wedding invitation in hand to the store where we purchased the dresses and they gave me store credit for the canceled even. We cried, but we worked hard to get it canceled .
                  Now, 17 years later, (she met her prince charming two years after the canceled event) she is happily married for 17 years with 4 beautiful children living the life of a princess.
                  In a week or two, maybe you could give her back the quilt and tell her its a quilt of valor for her extreme braveness.
                  success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                  Terry of NC

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2015

Sorry to hear about your niece, but happy that she was strong enough to go through with the cancellation. If it's meant to be, someone will come along and they will be a great fit.

Since you made the quilt for her, would it be a sad reminder to give it to her? Or as all quilts are made with love, give it to her to wrap her in your love, and hope for her happiness.
                    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• KPH
                      Missouri Star
                      • Feb 2015

The above comments are beautifully worded. While it's hard for a while, better to cancel than have to deal with the the aftermath of a mistake you know you're making.

I wish my BIL would learn that lesson! Bless his heart! Everyone tried to talk him out of his first marriage. He didn't work on his second (of course that SIL kind of went over board on some ideas). His third marriage, I've been begging him to find happiness for 4 years ( he finally left her, thank goodness!).

Prayers for your niece. She's a strong and wise woman. She may decide she would like that quilt to wrap her up in your love and support if you offer it to her at a later date.
                      Katrina
                      From NC, retired in FL
                      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• jjkaiser
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2013

It takes a very brave person to cancel the wedding at the last minute. But she possibly saved herself from a lifetime of misery. Hope she finds happiness once things settle down.
                        Jocelyn
                        South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• kensington
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2012

I brought it home, so she didnt have to deal with it as a wedding gift between them. Its hers, and when the time is right... I will gift it to her again. I dont think I could use it, sell it or regift it to someone else. I told her I would keep it for her.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2012

I brought it home, so she didnt have to deal with it as a wedding gift between them. Its hers, and when the time is right... I will gift it to her again. I dont think I could use it, sell it or regift it to someone else. I told her I would keep it for her.
                            I think you found precisely the right words.

I, too, am very impressed with your niece's courage. What a brave and wise young lady.
                            Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Cokie
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2016

Perhaps let her know that the quilt was made to celebrate a new beginning, and while the original event has changed, it is still a new beginning for her because she was courageous enough to make the right decision for herself. Best wishes to her - I admire her courage in making a difficult decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X