Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Identical Four Color QST

Hello!

I am a beginner and am still trying to figure certain things out.

I want to make QST with four different colors, but have each square come out to be identical. Basically, I want a stack of the same square for an idea I have.

Jenny and tons of others have great tutorials out there, but I have tried them and have come out with two different blocks because the color placement is different.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	916ED052-646C-4104-AF74-786D3725F449.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	154980

When I try to do the tutorials, I get two sets of squares with different color placement. I want to have a stack like #2 in my photo, but can only grasp how to get them like #1.

Can anyone help explain how to do it or point me to a tutorial? I am certain that it is simple, but my brain will just not wrap around how to accomplish this. I could probably sew four “slices” of color together for each block, but am hoping for a more efficient way.

I appreciate the time you took to read this and hope it makes sense.

J.P.
    Male Quilter in FL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Identical Four Color QST

Hello, and I think you are new, so welcome here! I have to make myself samples using uglies from my stash before I cut up the good stuff. I am not exactly sure but I think if you use the method from Jenny's Super Simple Hourglass (two 4-patches, right sides together, sew 1/4 inch seam on all 4 sides, then cut two times like a big X)--that you would get the square you want in the color placement order you need. You might have to experiment a little to get the colors where you want them. Maybe someone else will come up with a better idea. Good luck.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nope... that idea is about as close as I would get.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My only other idea would be for her to buy a fabric cutter like Accuquilt and use the quarter square triangle die. It's really quick.
    Vonnie

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

When you layer your squares, mark your lines from corner to corner. Now instead of sewing along both sides of those lines you sew along one side to the center. Then jog along the cross line and sew along the opposite side of the first line. Do this on both drawn lines before cutting. Sorry I can't attach pics from my phone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi JP,

Welcome from Jacksonville, FL.

My brain is fried, or not caffeinated enough yet. I think JJ's idea is the easiest.

If you have a specific order that you're really sold on... you could go ahead and cut your quarter triangles, stack and sew together. It's not the efficient method, but it will get the pieces where you want them... and you'll have to deal with bias stretch.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    When you layer your squares, mark your lines from corner to corner. Now instead of sewing along both sides of those lines you sew along one side to the center. Then jog along the cross line and sew along the opposite side of the first line. Do this on both drawn lines before cutting. Sorry I can't attach pics from my phone.
    Is that the method Eleanor Burns uses... her tutorials are very good.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can try out JJ's idea using four pieces of different colored paper. Use staples to make your 1/4" seam. Try making four-patches that are mirror images of each other if identical four-patches don't work. I often work with paper samples when trying to figure out tricky patterns.

And welcome to the forum!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    Is that the method Eleanor Burns uses... her tutorials are very good.
    Yes, I had seen Eleanor use this method. But I first saw Billie Lauder do this years ago.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Preeti, who is a forum member here, has a cool tutorial on her blog.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...-qsts.html?m=1
    I believe that the only method that will yield identical blocks is to cut triangles and sew them together. Any other method gives a mirror image. Welcome, and good luck with your project!
    Heather