Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default My machine and I have been on a trip

Well , My 8 month old 965Q Husqvarna quit a week ago today. I had to drive it 250 miles to Clemmons NC (the closest authorized dealer repair). I took it in Thursday evening and he had it fixed by noon on Friday!!
    THE MOTOR was burned up along with the belt stretcher, belt, bobbin case stop and they did a complete tune up of lubricating and adjusting. I hope this was a fluke on the motor...however, the repairman thought the machine must be at least 6 years old and that it had had a great deal of use. (DUH?)
    Anyway, not so very happy with the durability of the machine.
    They tried to show me the new 980Q Epic and offered me a trade up for only $3000 more . Hummm….
    Of course, I was tempted but that's a whole lot of money and whats to say its any more reliable. And second, of course I wanted it....but do I need it....and third, NO NO NO. Lets see if the new motor will hold up and if I will ever buy another Viking if it doesn't.
    Good to be home. I'm a little down about the machine and I'm almost afraid to use it.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My machine and I have been on a trip

Terry, I hope the new motor holds up. If you ever do decide to replace your Viking, perhaps you should consider an industrial machine. You sew so much more than anyone I know. I remember that you decided to upgrade your Viking after a year because you had used it so much. Donna Jordan has made a couple of videos about her industrial machines, which are built to withstand being used for 12 hours a day, every day for 30 years. She has had her Consew for about 20 years. Although she doesn't do FMQ, the industrial machines have a large harp space, which would be beneficial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3-lr2YNMEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfWBCSz_xiA

3. Thanks grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dog gone it, Terry..That's discouraging and for you I am sure hoping it is a fluke. I don't know anything about your machine, but sometimes these thing happen with the best of machines. I think I would have done the same thing you did. Take the machine with repair under warranty and see what it does. Hoping you have the BEST luck with your new motor and your NEW machine. It should be awesome.

I DO agree with MSN...You do so much on your machine (SEW much good for the Shriners) maybe you should consider an industrial type machine? I am not smart about the various ones that would work for you but I know others here have either experience or knowledge of what's available.
    Last edited by cv quilter; September 8th, 2018 at 08:43 PM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

5. Thanks grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn't so far, I'd suggest my Huskavarna guy in south Charlotte. He's one of the guys that trains everyone else.

I hope you have many, many years of happy sewing with your 'newish' baby.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

So sad to hear about your machine, lets hope this is the fix for it. Happy sewing!!!

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear your Husq got fixed. They are usually very strong durable machines. I used my DD machine for over 10 years as a business, and I never had issues. Had it serviced for her and it's been running for 20+ years.

If it gives you any grief, you might consider an industrial machine.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's a lot of work on your machine. Hopefully it was a fluke and you have much more sewing ahead on it. I would agree with others that you do a lot more sewing/quilting than the average quilter. Not sure what i'd do if I had to travel 250 miles to have my machine serviced.

13. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your machine. Hopefully the new motor will bring you many hours of sewing.
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

15. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry ~ Glad you got your machine fixed. Sorry you had to drive so far to a dealer. As much FMQ as you do, you might want to consider an industrial strength table model LA. I've been very satisfied with my Baby Lock Tiara II. Of course, you're looking at $5-6,000. Donna Jordan's industrial machine does only straight line stitching, I think, but it is a work horse. She has a computerized LA for the quilting.

17. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You all are so sweet to cheer me up. Yes, the man said the machine looked like it was 6 yrs old. He said that he couldn't believe how used up it appeared. I told them I sew every day...can't imagine owning a machine that costs almost $3000 and not using it!! That was the other reason I couldn't bring myself to spend an additional $3K for the Epic even though that would take me to a machine that retails for $10K and not using it a whole lot.
    DH wants me to send Viking a letter about my disappointment. You see, I have owned a Viking since 1974 . That first Viking was still running fine in 2008 when I bought my second one. And then in 2016 I just wanted one of the larger throated machines and it was the first one that wasn't made in Sweden. Now, and I should have researched this before buying, I find that Viking was bought out along with Singer and Pfaff by a conglomerate company. All of our trusted brands seem to have done this.
    You all are absolutely right that a commercial machine would probably make more since , but a straight stitch machine wasn't what I was shopping for last year.