where p =piecing
    s=squaring up
    q=quilting
    Sa=sandwiching

2. Thanks Laurie B thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piecing or Quilting

I like piecing a lot but must be the odd man out since I enjoy sandwiching. I love the planning, fabric picking best of all. I like to cut, I have done enough fmq that I can even enjoy that. Binding is good if it is on the machine.
    I really enjoy the whole process, especially seeing the look of awe on the recipient's face when it is gifted.

4. Thanks Laurie B, Old Newbie, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Piecing? Definitely not my favorite part. I find it monotonous as can be. I like squaring up my blocks though. Usually I pick simple uncomplicated patterns so I can hurry up the boring piecing part and get on to the fun part, the quilting. I am a hand quilter and it takes a pretty long time to complete a quilt but you just get used to thinking in 6-month increments. People that I make quilts for can't believe I have that much patience, think it takes 6 months to finish because they assume I only work on it an hour or two a day. Well they would be shocked to know how many 8-10 hour days I have to put in to be able to finish a quilt in 6 months.

6. Thanks Old Newbie, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Piecing and Binding for me, the knees don't like the floor when I am sandwiching.
    Christine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love....LOVE QUILTING!!!!!! Guess I'm odd one out, but maybe cause I hand quilt. I enjoy almost all the steps of creating a quilt.....sandwiching is my least favorite.

Hand quilting is my therapy and my most favorite thing to do!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I am mainly a piece. I think it is like putting a puzzle together.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Neither, quite honestly. I prefer the planning---picking the perfect pattern for the perfect fabric. Planning what will go where, making word documents with pics of the fabric with a picture of the pattern. Second would have to be the piecing. Quilting is a big NOPE! I don't have the patience for it, at least on my domestic machine. A long arm may be a different story.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love both piecing and quilting. It is a matter of mood or how much time I have. If I only have 30 minutes, I'd rather piece, because it is a mindless task. I usually keep my projects in kitted boxes or bags so that I can grab any of them and sew some blocks.
    I am a DSM quilter and love FMQing but I need plenty of time to enjoy the process, as it requires a lot of prep and concentration.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm in the "odd man out" camp, I enjoy all the steps of quilting, with binding being my favorite. Sure sandwiching/basting is a little tough on my back, but even that process is enjoyable - if I take my time and frequent breaks. Or maybe it's the satisfaction of a completed good job that I enjoy.

But if I had to pick my least favorite, it would have to be fabric selection. I'm color challenged (I failed coloring in kindergarten) and have a difficult time picking fabric colors that play well together, so I do find that process stressful. Maybe that's why I like pre-cuts so much (mainly fat quarter bundles), I don't have to think so hard

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer piecing. I am hoping that as my quilting skills increase, I will like it just as much.