Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piecing or Quilting

Wow I’m surprised, I thought there’d be more “quilting”. I too used to say I hated quilting because of the basting so I bought my self a used Bailey on a frame. Then I didn’t like “quilting” because I couldn’t get my stitches even because I needed a stitch regulator. As a hobby quilter who works full time with limited quilting time I could not justify buying even an entry level long arm but for those very same reasons “time saving” I did justify buying the Q’nique mid arm with a “stitch regulator” So I sold my Bailey to help fund it. Now I don’t have to bind and I have a stitch regulator and I still prefer piecing. I do have to add that I’m not fond of binding but do enjoy appliqué.
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hate cutting, love piecing. Not a fan of quilting but I think that's only
    because I'm not too good at it. I actually enjoy sewing the binding to the back,
    it is time consuming but it lets me know I'm almost done.

4. Thanks kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Count my vote for piecing also. I have not spent enough practice time on FMQ so for now it is straight line walking foot when I do quilt.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I love every aspect of quilting except making the sandwich and actual quilting. I have done very little FMQing and am hesitant to start because I suck at it. I am a perfectionist by nature and would spend hours picking every stitch back out. So I send my quilts out. But I am really slow at making quilt tops, so the expense of hiring a professional hasn't overwhelmed me yet. Maybe someday after I retire, I will crank out a bunch of quilts for charity and use them to practice FMQing.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, piecing!! I love to chose the quilting design, but not as good as I should be with that LA. I love to bind. I don’t mind cutting. I agree, that I need a friend that is opposite of me and we might be able to decrease my stash a lot!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to piece as well, but I also have a long arm and I do enjoy that process as well but I procrastinate and don’t know why. But, piecing is what I love the most! Find a good audio book and get to sewing!

10. Thanks Granny Fran, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to piece, getting too old to crawl on the floor. Have tried the Sharon Shamber method and that was not too bad.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Piecing- no question. Quilting? Don't know why but it doesn't turn me on. There's something about the finality of quilting that's sad. I do love to see some of the designs in quilting but nothing beats taking a pile of fabric and making it all work together. Funny- but I do love binding. Anyone want to trade quilting for binding services? LOL
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I prefer piecing, and do basic quilting. I don't remember where or when , but this was called being a 'topper' and that a quilter does it all. I was sort of offended, but at the same time I really did want to be the one who makes quilts from start to finish.

Go back a year ago and I had more tops waiting to be quilted, so I pushed forward and have been finishing them, but it seems to have zapped my energy for piecing. I need to rebalance and start more piecing as my ideas for quilts are not getting done.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy piecing the most. I also like cutting - it's the appetizer, lol

I do not like sandwiching. I've tried all sorts of methods and none of them are pleasant. I also can't afford to send them out. I was doing ok with my walking foot and straight or wavy lines, but it was such a battle shoving the quilt around on my Viking. I did some FMQ on it but I was more frustrated than anythi g. I love my new Juki for piecing & quilting. I'm just not patient enough to practice enough to get really good.