Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piecing or Quilting

I came to the realization today that while I love love love the feeling of completing a project I much more prefer piecing. I have my granddaughters quilt on the frame with only about 1/3 left to go and two other tops waiting to be quilted and instead of finishing them, I spend most of my “quilting time” surfing the internet looking for a pattern for my Eliza’s Indigo layer cake. Even when I say enough, get to your sewing, I decide to sew the last border on my BOM quiltYup, it’s official (piecing). Yup, it’s official, prefer piecing!

What do you prefer?
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piecing or Quilting

As of now, I prefer the quilting, however I am learning to enjoy the piecing more each day.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer piecing. If I could afford to send every quilt top out to be custom quilted I wold be in paradise.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like piecing too. I have quilted a few smaller projects but never a quilt top. I am hoping to take a class next year at a quilt shop to learn long arm quilting so I can rent time on their machine. I'm very intimidated by it though! But I really enjoy piecing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely prefer piecing. I'm working on quilting a small wall hanging right now, I can't wait until I'm done. I was disappointed when M* raised their rates, that means more quilting for me.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Needle down it's piecing!

I don't enjoy the process of sandwiching, quilting or even binding. LOL! Yes, I have paid others to do the binding too. I am also finding that I don't enjoy applique tracing, cutting, and stitching either. Goodness!

With all that, I do enjoy machine embroidery and small projects so will continue with them.

Thanks for a thoughtful question.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I confess.... I would much rather piece until mu heart's content. I dont enjoy sandwiching or quilting mostly because Im not that good at it). I need a friend that just loooooves to quilt and hates piecing, lol. I'd be in heaven.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely piecing for me! I used to be confused about why certain quilts would win at quilt shows and other absolutely fabulous quilts wouldn't get even honorable mention. Eventually I realized that the judges were looking at the quilting, and that the piecing didn't count for much at all. All that taught me was to enjoy the construction of my quilt tops and to vow never to enter a quilt for judging.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

10. Thanks SF Jen, kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in with the piecing camp. I'd rather piece than all the rest. If I lived in money wasn't an issue land, I'd be sending everything out to be quilted.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I used to like the piecing most but now liking quilting better since I'm getting better at it. However, I hate sandwiching and not a huge fan of binding. Oh well, take the good with the bad. In the end, I still can't believe I learned how to do any of it!
    Tracie

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post