Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extra wide backing fabric is too narrow! Can it go the other way?

My mother gave me a huge cut of 108" wide fabric that has a funky newspaper print. I've been wanting to use so I've been gathering all this fabric centered around newspaper and roses: the color scheme is red, black, and grey, and I even found fabric online that is a newspaper design with portraits of red roses that I'm using for a few of the blocks.
    The design I came up with is 112" wide X 96" long, as king quilts are wider than they are long. I wasn't even thinking about the width of the backing fabric only being 108" since I have 3.5 yards....in my head I was thinking the length was plenty for 112".

I could reduce the width and toss a whole column, which would make it 104" wide, but that's a little smaller than I was going for. I've never used extra wide backing, so I'm wondering if it would be okay to have the selvage edges run parallel to the length of the quilt?

I don't know if it makes a difference (fabric grain confuses me immensely), but I'm using 100% low loft cotton batting, and I'll be straight-line quilting.

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Extra wide backing fabric is too narrow! Can it go the other way?

So you have a piece that is 108x126 and your quilt is 112x96?
    The only thing you'll have to do is turn it sideways, and trim it after it's quilted.
    Just because it's called 108 wide, doesn't mean you have to use the 108 as the width. Yes, there is a bit of difference between cross grain and length grain, but it won't hurt your quilt. Some prefer length grain for borders, and some other areas, but the whole quilt can use wide backing as 'long' backing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree turn it whatever way you can so your quilt fits. Btw, I would love to see the quilt when you are done. I love using newsprint fabric and it would make a great backing. I have never seen it that wide though. Now you have me going, where did you get it from?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I agree turn it whatever way you can so your quilt fits. Btw, I would love to see the quilt when you are done. I love using newsprint fabric and it would make a great backing. I have never seen it that wide though. Now you have me going, where did you get it from?
    I bought mine at Missouri Star - chttps://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/58692/windham-fabrics/windham-fabrics/108-quilt-back-story-collection-newsprint-spackle-108-backing

Of course, it is out of stock - pretty popular pattern.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That should be interesting. Please show when you are done. First thing/name that comes to mind is Black and White and Read all over.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love using extra wide backing.... backing, pillow cases, even borders if I want them to match the backing.

I have bought extra wide and used it on the cross wise grain because it fit the quilt and allowed me to buy less fabric.

Go ahead and use it! It's on the back, after all.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another source with stock- https://www.fabric.com/buy/0433940/s...lack-and-white

Flipping wide backs sideways is a good way to save money.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I don't turn fabric for backing is when there is a directional pattern. Otherwise turn and patch if I have to so I can get backing big enough to fit front. I do shorten stitch length if I have to piece it and use a wider seam allowance.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I have had to worry about which way was better, is when I used Minky for the backing. You have to be careful of stretching the fabric! But then, you can always turn the quilt top!

When I quilt for others, I tell them half inch seam on backing fabrics and pressed open, shorten stitch length. Also, if sewing selvage edges, please remove the selvage before sewing together. Selvage is more tightly woven. I even encourage a little bit of starch or sizing sprayed on the seams before pressing. Hate it when seams don't lie flat and then my needle gets "stuck" in the quilt. That happens sometimes when I'm doing a panto and am quilting from the back of the machine and seams on top align with seams on the bottom and it gets quite "thick".
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I do it all the time.