Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using Basting Spray

I have never used a basting spray before, but pinning quilt layers together for me is such a HUGE pain in the backside. I'd like to ask those of you that use spray on a regular basis a few questions...

1) does it really stick well? If you are doing a large quilt, do you notice it unsticking as you move it around?

2) what are the pros and cons (besides obviously no pins!) of using a spray vs. pins?

3) does your fabric shift as much or less with the spray?

Just trying to weigh my basting options, lol.

Thanks!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using Basting Spray

I use baste spray all the time. I have found that if I iron the layers after they don't seem to move. I always wash my quilts before I gift them and so far haven't had any issues. If I had to pin, I think I would have given up years ago.

Now many may disagree, but I spray on a large plastic table, in sections, then after I smooth it out, I give it a quick iron, and move on. I have had quilts sprayed for weeks before I quilted with no problem.

Not as technical as most but hope it helps.

3. Thanks quiltingaway, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another advantage of basting spray is that your sandwiched quilt isn’t as heavy. All those pins add a lot of weight. I’ve never had my layers shift with basting spray and I don’t iron after spraying.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Baste spray is my best friend. I spray on the floor. I tape down the corners of my back, layer the batting/top.
    Then fold 1/2 the quilt and spray each layer. You don't need much spray, plus it's costly.
    Easy to reposition. I don't see any shifting. I do a quick iron if needed. Ventilation helps, watch the overspray, some use
    an old sheet on the floor. I do find a difference in brands of spray. So far my back stays flat when quilting.
    Several videos on YouTube that help

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used basting spray. I've been leery to use it because we have a gas forced air furnace & gas HWH & I work in the bsmt. I still crawl around on the carpeted floor & pin baste.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started quilting, I never heard of spray basting, so it was pins all the way.

Then I came to this forum and read so many praises for the spray method I had to try it, and only once since then did I pin a quilt, and only because I ran out of spray.

I don't ever experience shifting of the layers, and no bloody fingertips from pins poking me.

It is more expensive than pins, and you do need to be concerned with ventilation (some brands really smell more than others) and over spray if you do baste inside.

I can't imagine I will ever pin baste again. That reminds me, i've got a bunch of pins I should offer uo in the "I don't want it" group.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I spray baste all of the time.....no issues!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I attempted to pin my first quilt. Let's just say if it weren't for basting spray I would no longer be a quilter. I have found that it doesn't shift at all and will hold for a long time if you don't get the quilting done right away. I use the June Tailor band mostly, but have used others. I have also found that it is not necessary to use a LOT of spray a light misting is all you need.
    Donna

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! think I'll give it a try. any recommendations on brands?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

505 Basting Spray. You might be able to use a coupon at Joann's.

Before I got my longarm, I spray basted in a room with a ceiling fan blowing straight down to keep the air circulating. I safety pinned the corners in case they caught on something and separated.

I only had one quilt shift and I pretty sure it was the batting's fault.

I also ironed the quilt after basting it. Ironing got a lot easier after I got a cordless iron. I would iron 1/4 of a queen size quilt before putting back on the charge base. And actually you are "pressing" not ironing!
    Vonnie