Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: What men sew

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What men sew

Lately I've gotten an interest in hammock camping. I just love laying in a hammock and lazing about. There is a forum of hammock enthusiasts that has a ton of information about using them, buying them, and making them. The people (mostly men) there are a friendly bunch too, sharing tips and info just as we do here.

Naturally I'm drawn to the DIY section where people have made their own equipment - from bags and tarps to the hammocks themselves. If you want to know what guys like to sew - it's camping stuff! There are threads there about what's the best machine to buy, how to sew a rolled hem, materials and all sorts of stuff. They think sewing machine isn't manly enough, so they call it a Thread Injector. There's a thread with photos of their machines and some of the guys sewing with them. I love it.

There's a thread that I just love that is about taking some store bought down throws and ripping out some of the seams with a seam ripper. The guys complain about how long it takes them to rip out the seams and give tips on how to do it best so you don't mess up the fabric. As someone who does her share of ripping, it's quite hilarious.

I am happy to see that just because there aren't a lot of men who quilt, there are plenty of them sewing camping gear!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Sylvia H, Mom23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What men sew

My dh was into sewing surfboard covers. With a little help of course. lol

Lorie

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Injector.. how funny. So what do they refer to the iron as ...? A heat applicator?

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Brings back memories of DS#1's first apartment. I was going to buy him a new bed for his apartment. He wanted a hammock. lol, this is the same kid that slept on the floor for most of his life. So I bought him a hammock.

He loved it, until he played football on the beach and found out what skidding on the sand does for your bony ribs. Needless to say, he bought his own bed because he couldn't sleep in the hammock without irritating his whole side of sand rash.

At least he had a screened in porch where the hammock could be used.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, check out www.ripstopbytheroll.com these guys are great, have wonderful ripstop and a lot of the people there are making camping equipment too. It might earn you some points if the guys you are in the group with don't know about the place yet.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi_Howard View Post
    Thread Injector.. how funny. So what do they refer to the iron as ...? A heat applicator?
    hehe I don't think they use an iron. The material they use is mostly ripstop and that would melt under an iron. One guy had troubles with his thread while sewing on some thin mesh and asked for help. Everyone chimed in with the same things we've said - tension, new needle, rethread, use some stabilizer. Except they didn't call it stabilizer, they just said to use the trick of sewing with paper under and then tearing it off.

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Oh, check out www.ripstopbytheroll.com these guys are great, have wonderful ripstop and a lot of the people there are making camping equipment too. It might earn you some points if the guys you are in the group with don't know about the place yet.
    Oh yeah, they know about RSBR and the guys there already. I thought of you when I was online at their store. I use my strawberry bag all the time! I've been emailing Randy from there about getting some extra fabric to sew some bags and holders. He's really nice, as are the people from DreamHammock who are making my hammock. One guy asked if anyone made big cotton fabric for his project. They said the dec fabrics (canvas, etc) was big. I posted that quilters often use wide fabrics from 90-120" for their quilt backs and to look at wide fabrics online and in stores.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is great. You know how we are always looking for projects to make for our men.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thread injector! That is clever. When I got my Bernina, the manual referred to it as a sewing 'computer'.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My DH has had sewing machines and kits for just about every task. He has fixed and hemmed his own pants, sewn on buttons. I'm guessing this was survival, as he used to camp a lot and lived in his own during college and early working years.

Later he has fixed trampolines on his boat, and tarps and has made many covers for various boat parts for himself and friends. In the last few years, he has taken an interest and is very good at quilting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.