Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sit down long arms

My BabyLock dealer wants $500 to set up the crown jewel in my home which is approx 3 miles from their store. Everytime they have to come out for problems is $250. Is this normal pricing ???

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am uncertain why you cannot quilt on your current machine? If you cannot, I am not sure why you would think it is any different on a larger machine? Yes you have a larger throat space, but your hands are only one size, your hands limiting your movement. If you are having problems now, they will carry over to the hefty price tag machine as well. Be careful about that.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

3. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Bailey's sit down I perfer a stand up but don't have the room. I'm tired of spray basting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bialeys sit down. Very affordable and great machine. I quilt for myself and others. Basting gets old but I don't have room for a frame yet. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirlretired View Post
    My BabyLock dealer wants $500 to set up the crown jewel in my home which is approx 3 miles from their store. Everytime they have to come out for problems is $250. Is this normal pricing ???
    No. When I bought my machine they did not charge me to set it up. I bought the service contract so that might be why I have not been charged for a house call. I also live only 2 - 3 miles from my Babylock dealer. I have not had them out here since it expired. Now that the service contract has expired, the yearly cleaning will be $99. Which isn't much more than for the regular sewing machines.
    Vonnie

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my Tiara, I was told a service call charge was $169. (It's ~$139. for cleaning, etc. for a DSM) That's one reason I bought the Gold Standard plan at time of purchase. My dealer brought the machine to my house & set it up free of charge & showed me how to use it. He also picked it up from my house & returned it after servicing for no charge. Farm Girl, that dealer is gouging you. There's no reason for such an exorbitant charge.

Believe me, there is no comparison FMQ on a DSM & the Tiara. It is soooo much easier to move the quilt sandwich under the needle! The Tiara table is adjustable to one's comfort position. I have fewer problems with my neck & shoulders than I did with my DSM. Plus it's so much faster. The Tiara really is considered an industrial machine.

9. Thanks quiltingaway, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gracien View Post
    Thanks Suzanne, have you tried quilting without the suspension system? I think the largest I would quilt is queen. I don't have a great deal of room so don't think the suspension would work for me. They never show anyone quilting a large quilt in any of the You Tube videos or on the websites, so I don't know how difficult that would be. I have looked at a Pfaff which is the demo at a quilt store and seems like a pretty good deal as it includes bobbin winder, the stitch regulator and the extension for the table. But another store has a used Viking for $3500, haven't looked at that one yet. My local Babylock doesn't have one on the floor for me to try. The Viking dealer also does Handiquilt so I am hoping to look at that.
    Yes, I mostly quilt without using the suspension system, up to double/queen. Sometimes I just attach one corner, mostly for weight management. Some battings are heavier. It is there if I need it and does not interfere when I am quilting small ones. It's also a good thing to hold quilts folded over, before I attach binding.

I don't have the stitch regulator, as I was not encouraged to buy it. The more you do, the better you become at regulating stitch length. Although we do have one table to one side that is large, we don't need or use iT. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	154781
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	154780  
    Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; September 1st, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

11. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nice set up, Suzanne.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is pretty easy and cheap to hack a suspension system. I have used bungee cords hung from a wall hook with spring clamps on the bungee cord end. It worked OK but I did feel like I was tugging on it at times. I had to adjust the cords often since I tend to quilt in sort of a circle from the center out instead of side to side or up and down.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Did they ship it to you then?