Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? on cooking meats

So my cookbooks & recipe files are packed & in storage. I found a pork tenderloin recipe similar to mine on the internet. The recipe says to take the tenderloin out of the fridge one hour before putting it on the grill. That seems like a long time to leave raw meat at room temperature. I do admit I am overly cautious when it comes to food due to getting hepatitis and having two bouts of food poisoning (all three from restaurants). Any chefs want to weigh in?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ? on cooking meats

I'm not a chef, but leaving raw meat out that long seems a little strange to me. Is there an acidic marinade?

I don't think I'd leave it out that long. Maybe Terry can give us a better idea.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is not long time for the meat . The point of taking it out is that the meat should be at room temp when you start to cook it.
    The meat relax and stretch out.

The Theory: You want your meat to cook evenly from edge to center. Therefore, the closer it is to its final eating temperature, the more evenly it will cook. Letting it sit on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes will bring the steak up to room temperature—a good 20 to 25°F closer to your final serving temperature.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/...ing-steak.html

Hope this helps.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

5. Thanks Sylvia H, cjsews, auntiemern, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't cook meat anymore but do watch a lot of cooking shows and that sounds normal and suggested by the chefs. Another reason to take it out is so the temp is even throughout so the outside isn't cooking faster than the inside.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; August 30th, 2018 at 02:28 PM.

Lorie

7. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Carolyn, I am overly cautious too and 1 hour would be fine if your house is climate controlled. Here, it would not be because if its 90 outside, could get there in a hurry. However, if you have a house that doesn't get over 75 then 1 hour will work.
    Now, as an aside, I have a friend who was the food manager for a large restaurant hotel group in florida. She gave me the marinating recipe for a whole pork tenderloin. Put it in enough water to cover (a gallon say) At 1 cup sugar and 1 cup kosher salt and let it sit in your fridge for 72 hours or more. THis seemed a long time to me for pork but I followed her directions. It was so tender.
    The rule on temp is to keep the meat (or any food) under 70 or above 140. The degrees inbetween are not safe for more than 2 hours. When you want to put left overs in the fridge, Cool to below 70 before putting them away If you can't get them to 70 in less than 2 hours, you need to ice it to achieve this. To ice solids, put the pan on ice. Liquids , submerge the pan into another pan of ice and stir until the soup or whatever reaches less than 70.

9. Thanks Sylvia H, Star lover, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all. I decided to let the tenderloin sit out for 30 minutes. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between sitting it out or taking it straight from the fridge. I cook it according to the package directions so it always comes out tender. I did have to get used to the pink color in the middle but it is done according to the thermometer.

The marinade recipe is excellent:

1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt (recipe calls for whole teaspoon)
    1 teaspoon garlic (I use the minced garlic in a jar)
    1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (add a little of the sauce)

I run the marinade thru the blender, pour it over the pork & marinade the pork all day.

11. Thanks grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

that sound s really good Carolyn

13. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a good marinade. I added it to my recipe book. Except for the chipole peppers I think I usually have all those ingredients around. Is there anything I can use instead of the chipole peppers or will it make a big difference if I leave that out?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

15. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Every Christmas for the past 3 years I have cooked the most amazing prime rib. You have to let the roast reach room temp for the recipe to work. Yes, I left the roast out on the kitchen counter, covered, for 4 hours...then you roast it in a 500 degree oven. If you love prime rib you owe it to yourself to try this:

https://youtu.be/NUQ49SoteE0

17. Thanks Sylvia H, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    That looks like a good marinade. I added it to my recipe book. Except for the chipole peppers I think I usually have all those ingredients around. Is there anything I can use instead of the chipole peppers or will it make a big difference if I leave that out?
    You could maybe add in some crushed red pepper flakes instead
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.