• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Momofmara
    Shiny Thimble
    • Aug 2018

Need Advice

I need to sell my Elissimo due to divorce and downsizing. I heard Craigslist has many scammers, so I hesitate to post it there. I live on Long Island, New York and have to do local pick-up only.

Does anyone have better ways to get the word out? I plan to sell it with all the designs, threads, and stabilizers, so someone who has always wanted to sew/embroider but could never afford it can be blessed.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
  • Iris Girl
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2013

Re: Need Advice

I have no ideas for you, but just wanted to say my machines would be last thing I would get rid of in a divorce... just saying.
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Comment

• MaggieSue
      Missouri Star
      • Sep 2015

Sorry to hear about your divorce, sometimes it is necessary to downsize, but when you come out on the other side. I hope that you are able to get back to sewing/embroidery. I have no suggestions, but I wish you well!! One thought that comes to mind is a local quilting guild.

Comment

• K. McEuen
        Super Moderator
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2011

I would place an ad in the paper or maybe your local quilt shop would be willing to let you place a flyer there.

There is no selling allowed on this forum, however. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do.
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

My son loves Craigs List, but I'm leery of it, too. I like the idea of a quilter's guild, or seeing if your local quilt shop will help.
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Caroline T.
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2016

I know there are a number of Facebook groups specifically for quilters that allow selling. I would think that there would be a few FB groups also that are geared more to embroidery enthusiasts that may allow it too, so it's worth a look around in Facebook.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

I have bought three machines on Craig's list and sold one on Craig's list and two others to guild members. I would not hesitate to do either again.
              I would be sure to not be alone when you transact business with someone you don't know, either from a guild or an online site.
              Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

Iv'e found all of my yard guys (finally found a permanent one, yeah!) and my handy man people there and I live alone. My paper raised ads so much that I won't use them anymore. The quilt shop is a good idea if and that's a big If they don't sell machines there. .There is always Ebay. Most people know that shipping can be high on this kind of product.

I agree, wait to sell unless your really in need of the money.

Welcome to the forum!
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

• bakermom
                  Missouri Star
                  • Sep 2010

Facebook has marketplace. I have not bought anything thru it but a couple of my kids have successfully. either way, if you go thru FB or Craigs list check with your local police dept. Around here several PD have set up "safe" public areas to make exchanges. Also see if a local sewing machine dealer wold take it on consignment.
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• Cokie
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2016

Our local police department has an area in their parking lot for people who want to conduct transactions such as those on Craig's list. There is a designated area that has a security camera, just outside the door to the police department. Maybe your town has something similar. You might also want to ask your local quilt shop if they are willing to purchase it. One of the shops I go to sometimes does repairs and they sometimes will purchase machines, clean them up and resell them. Good luck.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2013

I've sold things on Craig's List. Yes I get the spammers. What I now do is mark it as cash and pick up only and don't deviate from it. Yes I still get the occasional "I'll send you extra money, a money order, etc etc". I just write back the amount in cash and pick up only and then ignore them. I do have someone here when they come to pick up, then again I also have Carlie.
                      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Vonnie
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2013

Cash only! And in a public place. Do not let them know where you live. And if you can, take someone with you. Like Carlie!
                        Vonnie

Comment

• grammaterry
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2015

I've sold a couple of high dollar items on both Craigs list and ebay. Always on Craigslist I get the first scammers that say they want my item, they'll pay my price, just tell them where to send the certified funds and they will have the item picked up. Just reply that you don't do scams...that will be that. Then, you wait.
                          As far as ebay...people can arrange their own shipping and you may get a fabulous price there.
                          Another thought would be maybe you could trade down with someone...get a little cash and a good machine so you aren't at ground zero when you start back up.
                          I hope all goes smoothly. Don't get in a hurry.
                          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                          Terry of NC

Comment

• Cathy F
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2012

Do you have a quilt shop that you frequent? If you let them know you're selling your machine they may know of a customer looking for one.
                            Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• cv quilter
                              Missouri Star
                              • Feb 2015

If you have a BabyLock dealer near you, or another shop that sells machines, you can ask them to consign it. Our local BL shop will do that. They keep 10%, but it will be out of you way until it sells. I have the Elissimo and love it. So sorry for the circumstance that causes you to sell it.
                              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Working...
                              X