Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice

I need to sell my Elissimo due to divorce and downsizing. I heard Craigslist has many scammers, so I hesitate to post it there. I live on Long Island, New York and have to do local pick-up only.

Does anyone have better ways to get the word out? I plan to sell it with all the designs, threads, and stabilizers, so someone who has always wanted to sew/embroider but could never afford it can be blessed.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Advice

I have no ideas for you, but just wanted to say my machines would be last thing I would get rid of in a divorce... just saying.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

3. Thanks MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your divorce, sometimes it is necessary to downsize, but when you come out on the other side. I hope that you are able to get back to sewing/embroidery. I have no suggestions, but I wish you well!! One thought that comes to mind is a local quilting guild.

5. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would place an ad in the paper or maybe your local quilt shop would be willing to let you place a flyer there.

There is no selling allowed on this forum, however. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

7. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My son loves Craigs List, but I'm leery of it, too. I like the idea of a quilter's guild, or seeing if your local quilt shop will help.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

9. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know there are a number of Facebook groups specifically for quilters that allow selling. I would think that there would be a few FB groups also that are geared more to embroidery enthusiasts that may allow it too, so it's worth a look around in Facebook.

11. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought three machines on Craig's list and sold one on Craig's list and two others to guild members. I would not hesitate to do either again.
    I would be sure to not be alone when you transact business with someone you don't know, either from a guild or an online site.

13. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Iv'e found all of my yard guys (finally found a permanent one, yeah!) and my handy man people there and I live alone. My paper raised ads so much that I won't use them anymore. The quilt shop is a good idea if and that's a big If they don't sell machines there. .There is always Ebay. Most people know that shipping can be high on this kind of product.

I agree, wait to sell unless your really in need of the money.

Welcome to the forum!

Lorie

15. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Facebook has marketplace. I have not bought anything thru it but a couple of my kids have successfully. either way, if you go thru FB or Craigs list check with your local police dept. Around here several PD have set up "safe" public areas to make exchanges. Also see if a local sewing machine dealer wold take it on consignment.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

17. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Our local police department has an area in their parking lot for people who want to conduct transactions such as those on Craig's list. There is a designated area that has a security camera, just outside the door to the police department. Maybe your town has something similar. You might also want to ask your local quilt shop if they are willing to purchase it. One of the shops I go to sometimes does repairs and they sometimes will purchase machines, clean them up and resell them. Good luck.

19. Thanks Momofmara thanked for this post