Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Price for quilting servicesHello,

Cokie and Bubby, I love your posts. I agree...and if I could afford to send my quilts off to LAQ I would. Sew much easier, but for me much more $ expense. BUT, I love to quilt, have so much fabric, so many patterns, so many ideas....If I made all of them (so many of them for charity) I would just have to give it up. I agree with you, Bubby, it's hard to make my hands and wrists and arms work...to keep the quilting motion moving, but I DO find a satisfaction in knowing I did it myself. ADMITABLY ...my FMQ is NOT as beautiful as a quilt done by a pro LAQ, but I do have the satisfaction that I did it myself (with my Tiara). And, my family, friends, giftees don't seem to care. SEW..I take my time, make my quilts (they are NOT quilt show quality but they are loved), quilt them myself and pass them on or gift them.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Price for quilting servicesHello,

Sewing binding by machine ~ Barb, I read about your hands bothering you when doing the hand sewing. I think many of us are getting there. I started sewing bindings by machine quite a long time ago because of the time factor, my hands, etc. I feel like the machine stitching holds up better, esp. for baby/child quilts that will have frequent washing. I finally came up with a method that works for me. I use 2.5" binding. I sew it on the front first, press/set the seam (only the seam, not the whole binding), then turn it to the back. I do not use the clips, but the straight quilting pins. IMO, the secret is to turn over the hem a consistent width. I have a sewing gauge which I keep set on 13 cm. or just a hair past 1/2". When I have the quilt pinned all the way around, I press both the top & the back of the hem before starting to stitch with the walking foot. I do stitch in the ditch on the front & it catches it on the back. I freq. check the back as I'm stitching. Sometimes I might have to re-do one small spot, or make an adjustment at a corner, but most of the time it goes quite smoothly. Pinning all the way around works for smaller quilts, but not on a large quilt. When I did the binding on my gr. son's wedding quilt (queen size), I pinned only 1 side at a time, stitched, then pinned the next side. Even though it was a gift, there was no way I was going to hand stitch through that batik fabric! I would suggest you make some small sandwiches on which you can sew short lengths of binding to practice to get the feel of machine stitching. I use a 3.0 length straight stitch. If you browse my albums, you'll probably find some close-ups of bindings.

The Noah's Ark album (my most recent finish) has a front & back view of SITD & the binding. I'll add them here.... Well, I was going to add them, but I'm getting a msg. that the file is too big, so I guess you'll need to go look at that album.
    Last edited by JCY; September 16th, 2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

3. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post