Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canning recipes??

I just started getting into canning. Iíve had a vegetable garden for years, and always supplied the neighborhood with veggies. I still give away veggies, but Iím now canning. Does anyone have any tried/true sauce, peaches or apple recipes for canning? Also, whatís your feel on citric acid/lemon juice? Thanks in advance.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canning recipes??

It's always exciting for me to see that someone is trying their hand at canning. I hope you'll forgive me for hopping up onto my soap box. I am in no way trying to discourage you. I've been canning for 35 years, gifting a lot of what I make & entering items in our state fair.

Please don't go looking on the internet for help on this. I have been horrified to see recipes where someone doesn't bother to water bath the jellies, shakes the jars or turns them upside down. Killing the bacteria (water bath), proper head space in the jar, cleaning the jar before putting on the lid and leaving the jars upright & not touching them for 24 hours to get a good seal is as important as cleanliness of work space.

There should be an Agricultural Extension office in your town. The homemaker can help you with making sure you have the correct equipment & instruct you on how to can items so that you don't make people sick or kill someone (botulism). She will also direct you to a website with recipes that are safe.

Although I've been canning for a looonnnggg time I keep up with the changes since I give away a lot of jams, jellies & pickles.

Good luck & have fun on your adventure.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Midge, kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the need for proper cleanliness and not skimping on proper procedures. Yes, that's the "boring" part of canning but it's even more important than the actual recipes :-). Don't underestimate the need for proper equipments. There is a huge difference between canning (water baths) and pressure canning.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Midge, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

go to the Ball websites. They are the experts.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

7. Thanks Midge, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Every year I choose something new to learn, and this year I wanted to learn more about canning. So I went to a class at a shop in Amish country, led by a lady from the country extension office (I think that's what it was called). I had no idea that there was so much that went into canning! I did learn that there is a big difference between water bath canning and pressure canning - never knew that before, I just thought it was personal preference. I also determined that for me, I could not justify the expense of purchasing a pressure cooker for the amount of canning I would do. I don't have a garden (except a couple of tomato plants), so that's part of it. I also don't have the time right now. Maybe when I retire I'll look at it differently. All that being said, I do like to make freezer foods (apple butter is my favorite to make), and I did make some pickles this year. I hope to try salsa some day, but we didn't put in many tomatoes this year. Good luck with your canning!

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you are doing allot of tomatoes I hoghly recommend getting the Squeezo Strainer that I bought about 30 years ago from Garden Way in Vermont. It is a metal hand cranking thing with a large funnel that you attach to your table or counter. You half or quarter your fresh tomatoes and crank them, they go through a screen and puree comes out of one end and seeds, cores and peels come out the other. No need to blanch and peel and core the tomatoes, you just do them room temp. You can then can the puree or freeze it. Such a time saver, I have loaned this out many times and when I lived in Kentucky I used to ship it to Wisconsin for my Dad to use, as his tomatoes came in later than mine. I haven't canned in years but still freeze allot of tomatoes and use this every year.

11. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

With a lot of water canning recipes they mention acid levels in various foods. One thing I learned fairly recently is that there are varieties of tomatoes now that are low acid. Check the variety you are using when water canning. Extra acid may have to be added to assure safety.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

13. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used to can every summer when I was a stay-at-home mom, had kids at home, & plenty of time. The shelves in my basement would be full of dozens of jars of peaches, pears, jams, pickles, etc. I even won a ribbon one year at the co. fair for the pear jam I made. I learned to can from my mom. I mostly did open kettle method or water bath. I never canned vegs., so had no need for a pressure cooker. Now that's it's just DH & me, it's not worth my time & effort to can. I have diabetes & DH is on a restricted diet due to his food allergies, etc. I buy the canned fruit which has no sugar, just the juice, or I eat fresh or frozen. Less calories & carbs. Jam is not even on my list of foods any more. If you have the time, energy, & can obtain the fruit or vegs. at reasonable prices, it's rewarding to see all those jars of canned goods on your shelves. The Ball canning book was my main resource, along with what I learned from my mom.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Never was a fan of the water bath. Didn't seem as safe to me. I always used a pressure cooker. That being said, the presto pressure cooker comes with a very good book on canning. Also your ag office will help.
    On a side note...back in the 70's I bought a big Litton Microwave oven with instructions that you could can fruit in it. I canned lots of half pints of peaches for my DH to use in his lunches. About Jan. we noticed he wasn't feeling well. The fruit was beautiful. Looked so fresh. But, I opened one and sure enough...the peaches were fermenting and going bad.
    I recently talked to a local man here and he told me they can their deer meat. I said it seemed like such a long process to do meat at 90 min. for 7 quarts. He told me he just poured boiling water over the hot cooked meat and put the lid on them and they sealed , no problem. I was horrified.
    My grandmother always told me after pressure canning green beans that they had to be cooked 10 min. when you opened the jar before you could eat them and not to lick your fingers when you opened the jar.
    Sterilize those Jars, lids and rings. Do not...I repeat...do not think the dishwasher is hot enough to sterilize them.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolnnc View Post
    It's always exciting for me to see that someone is trying their hand at canning. I hope you'll forgive me for hopping up onto my soap box. I am in no way trying to discourage you. I've been canning for 35 years, gifting a lot of what I make & entering items in our state fair.

Please don't go looking on the internet for help on this. I have been horrified to see recipes where someone doesn't bother to water bath the jellies, shakes the jars or turns them upside down. Killing the bacteria (water bath), proper head space in the jar, cleaning the jar before putting on the lid and leaving the jars upright & not touching them for 24 hours to get a good seal is as important as cleanliness of work space.

There should be an Agricultural Extension office in your town. The homemaker can help you with making sure you have the correct equipment & instruct you on how to can items so that you don't make people sick or kill someone (botulism). She will also direct you to a website with recipes that are safe.

Although I've been canning for a looonnnggg time I keep up with the changes since I give away a lot of jams, jellies & pickles.

Good luck & have fun on your adventure.
    I will second everything said above. I grew up helping my folks canning/freezing (everything it seemed). While I have all their recipes when I do can I refer to the Ball Blue Book. Our local Extension Office offers classes on canning and will test the pressure canner gasket if needed. Please don't try shortcuts or follow old recipes.
    ďWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.Ē

― Albert Pine

18. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post