Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canning recipes??

[QUOTE=grammaterry Sterilize those Jars, lids and rings. Do not...I repeat...do not think the dishwasher is hot enough to sterilize them.[/QUOTE]

I run my jars thru the dishwasher to clean them after storage. I then put parchment paper on cookie sheets, set the jars on the cookie sheets & put the jars in a 250 degree oven. Not a good idea to pull the hot jar out bare handed!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The USDA offers a free Complete Guide to Home Canning which includes recipes.

https://www.healthycanning.com/wp-co...5-revision.pdf

3. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I also like the Ball Blue Book and the Squeezo. You will be able to find lots of the recipes you are looking for and they take the safety of the finished product seriously. You can find good stainless steel strainers online also if you cannot find the squeezo.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My go-to has always been the Blue Book by Ball. You can get a copy at WalMart where they keep the canning supplies. The Blue book will teach you the safe way to can and it also has some great recipes.

6. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I second all the advice above. I learned canning from relatives 60 years ago, and the basic advice hasn’t changed much. Agree the USDA guidelines and the Ball paperback recipe book are the place to start. I always did water bath canning and still do some years. No plans to can this year though. Safety is everything, and citric acid is definitely not advised.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everybody! I only will follow the Ball guide to canning. I wouldn’t use a recipe off the internet, I’m too scared. I’m canning my next group of tomatoes Sunday. I’d like my family to have home made sauce, and they love homemade things, quilts included, lol. I bought an attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer, which takes the pulp and skin off. The juice is separated from everything else. Saves me a ton of time. Ball says a water bath is sufficient for sauce. I follow their recipe to the letter. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your tomato sauce. Enjoy it :-) Meatballs and spagetti has always been my go to comfort food. I was disappointed that in my late 50's I started getting horrid acid indigestion from tomato cause. A few years after that I decided to try to make tomato sauce from my own tomatoes. It actually worked, for some reason no acid indigestion. Now I always can my own. Also basil helps with acid indigestion so I make sure to had a tad extra of that too to my sauce. I always grow some fresh basil.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I canned tomatoes for years. Then I got old & tired. Now I dip them in boiling water, strip the peels off, stuff them in freezer bags & toss in the freezer. When I want to make chili, spaghetti or lasagna I just grab a bag. I too have problems with acid foods & we get German Johnson tomato plants when we can find them or order the seeds when we can't. They make the best tomato sandwich!

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It seems I am just adding to the list of good links but here is another excellent website for preserving food by many methods.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/papers/2003/03...tahposter.html

I apologize if someone has already posted this site and I just missed it. You do have to scroll waaay down to the bottom though. It covers so much. I hope it helps.
    Theda

Wouldn't it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for 10 minutes and come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller?

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Necchi" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonryan View Post
    I just started getting into canning. Iíve had a vegetable garden for years, and always supplied the neighborhood with veggies. I still give away veggies, but Iím now canning. Does anyone have any tried/true sauce, peaches or apple recipes for canning? Also, whatís your feel on citric acid/lemon juice? Thanks in advance.
    Billís Apple Butter try this , coz i have tried so simply suggesting you to try this.