Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broken Thread on Finished Quilt Bindings

Hello from Dallas, Texas!

I prefer binding all my quilts by hand. To clarify, I machine stitch the binding to the top of the quilt and then fold it over and hand-stitch to finish.

Sadly, I recently noticed that a few of them have areas where my thread has broken and my hand-finished work has come undone. The first time I didn't think much of it, but I've now noticed it on three quilts in multiple areas.

I do machine wash and dry my quilts. Perhaps I'm using too hot a dryer setting?

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. are most appreciated!
    Starla

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Broken Thread on Finished Quilt Bindings

Is it because of the end of the thread, or the knot coming undone? Are you doubling your threads when doing your handwork? If you are only using a single thread, I could see that might cause breakage. Are you using thread from an old wooden or cardboard spool? That thread will have issues if it is too old.

I watched this video, and I twist my thread around the needle three times to form my knot. This is at the end of the video.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eztGVPEDvMc
    Last edited by Deegles; August 25th, 2018 at 04:15 PM.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

3. Thanks Starla thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the heat of the dryer would break the thread.

When hand stitching I self knot the thread every sixth stitch. That way if it comes on undone or breaks, I only lose six stitches worth. The binding takes the most abuse of any part of the quilt.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks Starla thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Are you making your stitches close together enough to support the flexing of the fabric?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to consider switching to machine stitching. It's so much faster & easier & the stitching holds very well. I sew all my bindings by machine now. Much easier on these older hands.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone with the machine both side binding too. But I am still not good enough to sew on front then flip to back and sew in ditch on front and catch the back at same time. So I just sew on back side, flip to front and sew on the front side, yeah I have line on back side that often shows, but I try and use a pattern fabric that will hide the extra long line!

Welcome to the forum in case I missed you before.

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tip Denise. I never thought of that.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I tried machine stitching the binding to a table runner yesterday. I ended up with a row of stitching on both sides of the binding of the quilt. Unfortunately, I also found a tangled mess of thread on the under side. Has anyone else found this problem? What did I do wrong? Thanks for the help,

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SF Jen View Post
    I tried machine stitching the binding to a table runner yesterday. I ended up with a row of stitching on both sides of the binding of the quilt. Unfortunately, I also found a tangled mess of thread on the under side. Has anyone else found this problem? What did I do wrong? Thanks for the help,
    The only time I get a bird's nest of tangled thread is if I forget to pull the thread under the presser foot and slightly to the lwft side when starting a new seam. My machine seems very fussy about this and does not cooperate if I skip doing this.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of thread are you using? I do my bindings the same way you describe and use Coats & Clark Dual Duty Plus (25 weight) hand quilting thread (1 strand). Never had a problem with thread breakage, even with multiple washings.

Hope that helps!
    Anne

14. Thanks Starla thanked for this post