Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thursday Trivia: Root Beer

Chicago's own Dad's Root Beer is reputed to be the first purveyor to package bottled beverages in six-packs, which it introduced in the 1940s.

Attachment 154605

Pharmacist Charles Elmer Hires was the first to successfully market a commercial brand of root beer. Hires developed his root tea made from sassafras in 1875, debuted a commercial version of root beer at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876, and began selling his extract. Hires was a teetotaler who wanted to call the beverage "root tea".

Attachment 154606

Attachment 154607 A Hires' Rootbeer advertisement from 1894.

One of Hires's early competitors was Barq's, which began selling its sarsaparilla-based root beer in 1898 and was labeled simply as "Barq's". In 1919, Roy Allen opened his root-beer stand in Lodi, California, which led to the development of A&W Root Beer. One of Allen's innovations was that he served his homemade root beer in cold, frosty mugs. IBC Root Beer (which stood for: Independent Breweries Company) is another brand of commercially produced root beer that emerged during this period and is still well-known today.

Attachment 154608

Attachment 154609

Attachment 154610

Sassafras root beverages were made by indigenous peoples of the Americas for culinary and medicinal reasons before the arrival of Europeans in North America, and European culinary techniques have been applied to making traditional sassafras-based beverages similar to root beer since the 16th century.

Root beer was sold in confectionery stores since the 1840s, and written recipes for root beer have been documented since the 1860s. It possibly was combined with soda as early as the 1850s, and root beer sold in stores was most often sold as a syrup rather than a ready-made beverage.

The tradition of brewing root beer is thought to have evolved out of other small beer traditions that produced fermented drinks with very low alcohol content that were thought to be healthier to drink than possibly tainted local sources of drinking water, and enhanced by the medicinal and nutritional qualities of the ingredients used.

Beyond its aromatic qualities, the medicinal benefits of sassafras were well known to both Native Americans and Europeans, and druggists began marketing root beer for its medicinal qualities.

Mmmmm, yum.......and root beer floats!!!!!!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thursday Trivia: Root Beer

I've made homemade root beer a few times. Its fun to show the children how its done. Quick and easy. However, you need dry ice which is really hard for me to transport 50 miles to get it home.

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I remember A&W's in Calif when I was younger. Do they still have some standing? I like root beer floats but would rather have a Dr Pepper.

Lorie

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Root beer is my favorite soda--thanks for the trivia!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

A&W stands used to be THE teenage hangout in my home town.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I remember having sassferella soda when I was a kid. Back in those days having soda was a big treat as we only had a qt.drank of that soda, root beer, creme or orange at Sunday dinner.
    MissMay AKA May in Jersey

12. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE root beer. When I'm able to really splurge on something decadent (for me) it's usually a root beer float. A&W used to be the hangout in our town and that's where I ate my first bacon cheeseburger....who knew! In my family we ate really simple food. One of my first dates took me for root beer at A&W....happy memories for sure. Thanks, Anita.
    Last edited by Bubby; August 23rd, 2018 at 12:04 PM.

14. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

37 years ago my 1st job was at A &W, it was right on the beach. It was so hard to work there
    on a hot day when all my friends would come off the beach to say hi.
    We sold the root beer in the mugs. The restaurant is still there, now it is a Taco Bell.
    We have a A&W here in my city, too expensive to go there.

16. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I remember A&W's in Calif when I was younger. Do they still have some standing? I like root beer floats but would rather have a Dr Pepper.

The Reno, NV A&W just closed last week. Its making way for a car dealership. Many people went "one last time" and they ran out of food a day early. This co-incided with Hot August Nights, so the lot was full one last time with all sorts of classic cars.
    Heather

18. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love root beer too and still like going to A&W. When our kids were teenagers they liked to hang out at the "Dub" as they called A&W

20. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post