Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newby and Novice

Hi everyone! My name is Deb. Quilting is one of the things on my retirement bucket list. In the five years that I've been retired, we've moved to Tennessee, built a log cabin and live in the woods. I've worked at a MLB stadium in my home state and learned to can. Two biggies from the bucket list accomplished, so quilting is the next one. I haven't sewn much since I was a teenager. I was pretty good, but really didn't enjoy it much. (I was a teenager.)

I tend to over-plan, and it's not much different with this. I've watched a few of the tutorial videos and have selected a pattern to do for my first quilting project. I've sought the advice of a friend who quilts as to what tools and supplies I'd need. So, I've got my rulers, scissors, threads, etc., even a new sewing machine. I've been collecting fabrics from the MSQC Daily Deals over the last month or so. Once I get the feel of the new machine, I'll probably go ahead and start on that project.

I'll be reading through the different threads to get advice and perhaps even ask a question or two. I'd love to hear what you'd consider to be the best advice you can give a novice. I thank you in advance and look forward to learning from y'all. :-)

2. Thanks Star lover, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newby and Novice

Hi Deb, welcome to the forum. My advice would be keep it simple for your first project. Don't attempt a queen or king size quilt at first. Feel free to ask questions any time. There is usually someone around that can answer or make suggestions.

Have fun with your new adventure!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with PC. Pick a nice, simple pattern, and the fabrics you want for it, in a workable size like a Lap quilt. Jenny has many tutorials for that size.

I usually watch that tutorial a few times, have the block handy when I start, and pull up the tutorial while I'm making the quilt if I need it.

Enjoy the process! Welcome to M*!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A log cabin?! I hope you share a picture of that!

Welcome to the forum!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that a small print on fabric for the back of the quilt will hide a multitude of "oops" moments in the quilting part. At least it does for me.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Mimi_Howard; August 23rd, 2018 at 01:54 AM.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Arizona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan. Happy you've joined us. Great place to learn, ask questions and have fun!

Attachment 154612

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Sunny Florida.

I hope you enjoy your time here.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Colorado. Feel free to chime in with questions. We all learn from each other. Yes, for a beginner quilter, keep it simple while you're learning. You might want to practice that scant 1/4" seam so you can sew consistent seams. Happy Quilting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You've received lots of good advice above. Welcome.