Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Binding question

Has anyone ever used leftover layercake squares for binding? The pattern I'm making is going to have so many unused, I'd have enough for the binding. I'm just not sure if I want that many seams in the binding?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding question

I never have, I would hate having to work with all those seams too, and trying to keep the seams out of the corners would be a nightmare.

I personally would save the extra layer cake squares for another project, maybe a baby blanket, or pillow to match the quilt?

3. Thanks starlover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you know I have. I use everything but I will say that the more productive thing to do would be save them for another project and make binding from something else. I got some wonderful rolls of bias binding in that truckload of stuff I bought last winter and have to tell you that I do everything I can you find a color that will work so I can use those prepared rolls. Otherwise I am always digging thru for leftover 2 1/2 instrips even if they are shorter. I don't mind a few seams but I think every 10 inches might be disappointing for a great sewist like yourself

5. Thanks starlover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree; save the 10" squares for another project. Find some fabric in your stash that sort of matches & use it. However, I remember one older tutorial of Jenny's where she used up leftover 5" charm squares to make the binding for a baby quilt. That's a lot of seams! I think it would make turning the corners problematic with more bulk in the binding.

7. Thanks starlover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have. Lots of seams, which I did straight rather than diagonal. Mine worked out fine. I don’t recall having much trouble with the corners.

9. Thanks starlover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I regularly use jelly roll strips for mine. Sometime fat quarter pieces. I love a look of using the multiple fabrics in a quilt for binding.

11. Thanks starlover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the replies! This is the quilt I'll be making, and I thought it would look nice with a multicolored binding. Using straight instead of curved seams is a great idea if I do decide to use the small pieces.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/380343131026097823/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any reason why not. It is a pretty pattern.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

14. Thanks starlover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starlover View Post
    Thank you so much for the replies! This is the quilt I'll be making, and I thought it would look nice with a multicolored binding. Using straight instead of curved seams is a great idea if I do decide to use the small pieces.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/380343131026097823/
    Oh, please post a pic of your quilt and comments. I want so much to make it, but it looks like, to me, to be very difficult. Thx.
    Diana Grey

16. Thanks starlover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Lady View Post
    Oh, please post a pic of your quilt and comments. I want so much to make it, but it looks like, to me, to be very difficult. Thx.
    I'll let you know when I get to it in a couple of months. I'm concerned more with lining up all the rows correctly...not so much the paper piecing. I've paper pieced before and thought it was fairly simple.