Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Aug 17-23, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I pushed through and finished the fmq on my curved log cabin. I even have it trimmed and the binding pinned in place ready to sew onto one side. It will be totally machine done so won't take too long.
    I hope there is some sewing time in my day to get that done and off my mind. It will be a retirement gift for a dear friend on 8/29 so I have a bit of leeway.
    Then on to my Autumn project, yea!
    Claire, would love to see a picture of it when done. I've never done the curved log cabin, but it looks interesting.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My longarmer sent me this today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VilliageAppliqueQuiltPicture.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	154587

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimsophia View Post

Congrats. You must be so proud. This is truly an heirloom treasure.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The internet was down for a day and half, so I had no interruptions and sped through the assembly of the Ametrine block which I recolored from a Birthstone Amethyst block for a MJ Kinman challenge.

Name:	100_4575.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	154590

Here it is next to the original Amethyst block

Name:	100_4578.JPG 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	154591

Turned out pretty cool. I'm stoked.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Simply beautiful! You should make notes about how long you worked on this one. So how long did you work on this work of art?
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, kimsophia, that is stunning! Your appliqué is gorgeous, and the custom quilting really sets it off beautifully. I hope you enter this beauty in some quilt shows!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    The internet was down for a day and half, so I had no interruptions and sped through the assembly of the Ametrine block which I recolored from a Birthstone Amethyst block for a MJ Kinman challenge.

Name:	100_4575.JPG 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	154590

Here it is next to the original Amethyst block

Name:	100_4578.JPG 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	154591

Turned out pretty cool. I'm stoked.
    I really couldn't imagine a jewel with two different colors, until I saw your creation. I like it even better than the original Amethyst block. You have every right to be stoked.

10. Thanks pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kimsophia, ohmyohmyohmy….Fabulous quilt. It truly is gorgeous and I know it represents hours and hours and hours of work.

Denise, another GEM of your talents!
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everybody! I give the longarmer most of the credit!

PCBatiks, that's an interesting question on how long it took.

I know I ironed a total of two packages of Mistyfuse interfacing on the backs of the fabrics. I had been very graciously given Kaffe Fassett fabric (including from you!). Another elderly quilter gave me an entire fat quarter set of Fassett fabric and I was able to buy a couple of fat quarters and charm pack sets for the smaller pieces online. I dislike ironing so I probably only did a half hour of that at a time (and it used up all four of my silicone sheets applying the Mistyfuse per ironing episode). I would then have to wait for it to cool overnight to peel it off the sheets. It seems like I did that at least 12 times so six hours at least for that.

I used a window at first to backlight the applique pieces to trace but switched to a lightbox pretty quickly. Working vertically is tougher than horizontally. I made Mylar templates for the house and bird pieces. For little circles I traced around coins. Tracing and cutting those out took many hours but I could sit down at my table at least and didn't need to use a rotary cutter. I'm going to guess thirty hours for tracing and cutting out applique. The houses were nice straight cuts but I used a curved scissors on the trees and circles. Each block's cut pieces were then put in a zip loc bag along with the pattern paper for that block and stored flat until I ran out of zip loc bags and decided to just scroll the pieces up in their pattern paper and rubber band them. BIG MISTAKE. The Mistyfused pieces then curled up and they all had to be re-ironed down flat to the silicone sheets, so another couple of hours to fix them.

Applying the pieces to iron them was tricky as I needed a tweezers to put them in place and I was constantly checking that they would fit inside the 8.5 inch final cut size. The blocks could be assembled standing at the ironing table but the panels were so long that I assembled them with the ironing board folded all the way down to the floor and my crawling around it, placing and ironing them down with a little craft iron. My knees were telling me those panels were taking many hours but maybe really four hours per panel and forty-five minutes per center block?

As for sewing the applique pieces down, I did raw edge applique with invisible thread instead of the needle-turned appliqued original, so it took a lot less time than the original. If you look in my album on the second page you can see a lot of photos of individual blocks. The easiest blocks were the houses. I could zip around all those edges in under an hour. A couple times I managed two houses a day. I sew standing up and that was about all the standing I felt like doing per day. The most complicated blocks were those with many tiny pieces like the cactus. Those could take 4-5 days, at an hour and a half each day. Stopping to constantly turn the block or panel to follow the curves took me longer. It was a total of 49 center blocks, plus four side panels that were as large as another 32 blocks, I think, in diameter around the 49? Quilt math is not my strong point either. I'm not including the several extra inches the fencing added to the perimeter. They were 3 inch long cuts but were 2.75 inches half sewn on to attach the panels...but you get the idea of how the size could be calculated.

The worst things for me were rotary cutting and sewing fencing strips, blocks and panels together which I cannot do accurately despite all my efforts. I start sweating just sitting here talking about it...lol I actually enjoyed those first steps I listed but I loathe piecing, probably because I fail to do it accurately. I started with nearly a full bolt of chartreuse Kona fabric from Jo-Ann's because I figured I'd have to recut a lot of it. So I would say, think of how long a good piecer would take to cut and sew it and then multiply it by three or four. The blocks were cut at 9 x 9 inches (the pattern said 10 x 10 but I didn't feel the need for that much extra around an 8.5 inch final size block). I did manage to center the applique well enough that that worked. I needed to re-sew several seams within the 49 block center as the corner seams didn't match, which involved ripping those areas out and using an Elmer's glue stick, and hand stitching that four corner intersection. I also had to rip apart an entire fencing (aka piano key) side and re-sew it, plus several sections of fencing in other sides. The sides were not panels in the original directions but by that point I couldn't stand sewing any more pieces than the bare minimum. I still managed to cut one panel too short and had to add an extra inch to it! I didn't find that out until the very end! Oh well, that makes it folksy!

When the top was finished it took an hour to drive it to the longarmer ;-) She said she had to re-cut it to get it to fit her frame so that was an extra 20 bucks. There was a ton of extra green fabric down the outer sides of the panels so I let her deal with squaring it. It was worth it to be rid of the huge thing. By that point I only felt relief that my part was done. It's costing $452.74 for her job which pains me to spend on a hobby but I knew I just had to pay it or it would never be a quilt. I did do maybe 25 hours of some big stitch hand quilting around the center blocks in size 8 perle cotton but I enjoyed that, although it is awkward and hot to have a quilt on you, sitting in your recliner in the summer and needing to keep turning it to I could stitch right to left. I used my feet and arms to lift and turn it so that running stitch was a whole body workout

Although she's attached it to the front, the binding will need to be folded over and stitched down onto the back by me but I enjoy hand sewing. It will need a hanging sleeve attached as well. I can report back on how long that will take me I don't pick it up from her until Sunday.

I started it on June of 2017 so you can see that I did not work on this constantly. I took big breaks and did a lot of cross stitching and hand embroidery projects. It's a pity I didn't have somebody to cut and sew blocks together for me as the applique was enjoyable. I hope never to make another quilt again...but I do have a finished top that needs backing and tying HA HA

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a journey but it looks like it was so worth all the hard work.

Here is my curved log cabin but not in that lay out so maybe not the right name for it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	154604