Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello From Central Florida... Again!

I thought I would take a few moments to re-introduce myself. I'm not 'new' to MSQC, but It's been a very looooong while since I've joined and posted anything.

I have been quilting on and off for a couple of years and still consider myself very much a 'newbie' quilter. Almost everything I have learned, I have learned from Jenny and MSQC. I've finished a few simple quilts (and several quilt tops which we'll just gloss over for now, lol) including Summer in The Park, Disappearing Nine Patch, Jelly Roll Race and some very simple Charm Square tops. I am ready to 'push' myself into more intermediate patterns and possibly more intermediate machine quilting. So far, Stitch in The Ditch is my go-to since it's not as intimidating as others.

I love, love, love piecing quilt tops, it's my absolute favorite thing to do. Binding is my least, followed by the sandwiching process (I struggle ever so much keeping things flat, straight and un-puckered), but I'm trying desperately to embrace them as part of the quilt process. Framing/bordering the quilt is probably my biggest anxiety and 'squaring' still boggle me at times and I'm always afraid I'll somehow mis-measure and ruin the quilt. I'm hoping to learn a lot more here from all of you experienced quilters and hopefully make some friends.

My dream is to eventually travel to Hamilton to visit all the quilt shops and maybe even, if I'm very lucky and the star align, get to meet my Quilt Guru, Jenny Doan - even if for a brief moment.

Kelly,
    Central Florida

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello From Central Florida... Again!

Hello from NJ and welcome back! I too have learned so much from Jenny and MSQC but I learn almost as much on this forum. I'm with you about piecing being my favorite (besides picking out fabric!) and I don't like binding. Sandwiching was always a pain but now I only use spray basting and will never go back to pinning. Have you tried it? - it will change your world!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back from Colo. Regarding binding, I don't mind it as much as I used to. Now I do all my bindings by machine, so it's much easier & a whole lot faster than hand stitching. I think now my least favorite thing is to hand stitch the label on. Post some pics of your quilts. We love to see pictures of what folks are making.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from North East Florida, ie. Jacksonville.

Welcome back to the forum. Like Joy said, we love looking at pictures and everyone here has their strengths and will volunteer ideas when you have questions. I know I still learn from everyone else's questions.

I'll go with you when you go out to Missouri, I'd love to meet Jenny, too! There are always events going on out there. September is the birthday bash, then the forum retreat. I'm crossing my fingers to get one of those events on my calendar next fall.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from south FL and welcome back to the forum. This is the best forum and Jenny is the best teacher, I love her tutorials. Where was she when I was paying $40 and up for classes. I started this hobby right after retirement (2000) and been doing it ever since. I'm like you, I love piece work. I am not good at quilting. So I turned to hand quilting and struggle with that. Sandwiching is the worst for me. I don't have big table and not able to stoop anymore so if I don't do SITD, it gets sent off to M* for quilting and I've been very pleased with them. I too hope to travel to Hamilton one day.
    Linda

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

amartin24 - I have not, but I think I might give it a try. Also have seen fusible batting, I may try that as well.

JCY - I've switched to Machine binding. I need some more practice tho, lol. I've discovered I need to make my binding a little wider as I tend to pull it and it ends up uneven.

KPH - My mother is in Jacksonville, I lived there for 15 years before moving to Palm Coast. One day, we'll make it to Hamilton, lol

LindaKay75 - I never took a quilting class. the local one here is $100 for a 5 week class (meets on Wednesdays for 2 hours for 5 weeks). I couldn't take the classes because 1) I work in Healthcare, so my schedule is never the same and I couldn't guarantee I'd be able to make it to each class... 2) $100??? I convinced myself I can buy a lot of fabric for $100 and learn for free from Jenny, lol. and so I did.

8. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from "the other coast" of Florida! (Plant City - east of Tampa)

Welcome back! Just keep trying - you will do fine!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from Canada's capital.

I did learn about Jenny and M* when I took a quilting class three years ago. For me, it was good to take classes as I learned a lot about the precision quilting and tips for making blocks line up. Jenny has good tutorials but they assume a basic knowledge of piecing. There also other great tutorials by Donna Jordan, Jordan Fabrics, Strip club from Cosy Quilt Designs, Angela Walters the Midnight quilter for quilting designs and many others on You Tube.

Enjoy the journey it is the most fun, relaxing hobby I have ever entertained. I had the privilege of going to Hailton, MO this year and met Jenny Doan, also met Lynne Hagmeier from Kansas Troubles quilters, and Tula Pink when she came to Ottawa. Women and quilters in general, my husband says are some of the nicest people he has met. He is also a quilter.

Enjoy the journey.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, every one for the warm re-welcome, lol. I forgot to mention.. I am currently working on a quilt for my mother made from jellyroll 'Essence of Pearl Purple'. I went with the 'Summer In The Park Revamped' pattern, but I revamped the revamped pattern by snowballing the white corners of the block to create a secondary diamond.... Once I figure out how to post a photo, I'll show you what I mean!