Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm going to my first Quilt Show! Suggestions?

I am going to my very first AQS quilt show this Saturday, in Grand Rapids, MI. Going with my sister-in-law. Any suggestions so I know what to expect?? Thank you all sooo much!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm going to my first Quilt Show! Suggestions?

Bring lots of money, lol!! My first quilt show I was overwhelmed with the vendors and spent a WHOLE lot of money on fabric, some of which as I looked back and thought 'WHAT DID I BUY THAT FOR?'

All in all just have fun.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Take a bag to carry your goods. Something with a comfortable handle. Good walking shoes. And a list of things you may be wanting to look for. My first show I was so overwhelmed that I left thinking about what I didn't get and had to go back a second day. Good thing I loved close by

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wear comfortable shoes and bring lots of $$$ and a camera of some sort. You never know who you might run into. Have a great time. Some shows don't allow taking pictures of the quilts and none of them let you touch the quilts. There are usually workers who wear gloves that will show you the back of a quilt if needed.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First thoughts have all been covered- camera, shopping bag with comfortable handles, a list of what you need, eagle eye to sift through the 'oh isn't that neat' things to focus on what you really will use, your limit in cash, comfortable shoes, and a snack.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Remember to take photos (if allowed) of quilts that inspire you. I get lots of inspiration from quilts at the show. If no sign is posted on a vendor booth, I usually ask if it's ok.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

May I add to the above lists? Buy bulkier, heavier items LAST not FIRST, as I did my first quilt show in Paducah! Solid oak ruler holders, sure got heavy quickly! About killed me carrying my bag all day. If you have a comfy roomy backpack, that'S good to use! Frees your hands up for petting the fabrics and shelling out your dollars

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to Paducah next month for the third time and agree with what everyone said. It can be mind boggling so I am making a list now of what I need/want to buy and taking some fabric samples that I want to match.
    I know I need bottomline thread and two coordinating fabrics for projects I have in the pipeline.
    Hopefully the list will keep me focused in the vendor hall.
    i noticed that the Paducah show had a package check area which would be good for heavy or bulky items you buy but it was very crowded at leaving time as everyone wanted their stuff at the last minute.
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; August 20th, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

look for any quilt entered by Tim Latimer. His quilts are just amazing and the quilt helpers with the white gloves should be able to locate his entry for you. Be sure you have aspirin on you, sometimes the noise in those big rooms brings on a headache and you do not want to have to leave early.have fun! We want a full report when you get back!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Loved going to the Paducah show! Went a couple of years ago & had such a good time. Everyone has given great advice but let me add 1 more. Get a show book that has all the vendors, where they are & make a note of what they have that really catches your eye. I always go back around to make sure I didn't miss anything. I sometimes make that note after I go down one side of the aisle & then back up the other. Then go to the other aisles. I'm going to the AQS show in Virginia Beach in October & can't wait. Been saving up for a while.

Have fun, take breaks & rest your tootsies & eyes. There are goodies EVERYWHERE.

Gina

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post