Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice Needed: Buying a new Washer and Dryer

I'm in the market for a new washer & dryer. My dryer quit working a few years ago and now my washer is kaput. They are in my garage and thus subject to outdoor temps. I know the control panel on the dryer is broke; I went through several different repair companies to get it fixed only to have it break again. When that happened, I decided to not use it anymore and go to the landrymat.

Now the washer has quit. I used it just last week but this week, that darn control panel won't do a thing. The lights are off. I tried unplugging and resetting the fuses, but it's still broke.

I'm ready to just trash this pair and get something else. These were front loading machines, and the washer is HE. I didn't mind the front loading part at all and probably will get it again, but I wanted to see what you like/hate about your machines.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice Needed: Buying a new Washer and Dryer

I had a pair of front loading Maytag (Neptune) also He. The washer gave me so much trouble. From the gaskets smelling right away and the worst, coins getting stuck in the underparts of the machine. I made my dd and her boyfriend pay for the repair on that because I don't carry coins in my pockets and they never bothered to check before washing. That was about $300.

After they moved out it was just more problems. maybe I got a lemon but I went back to a top loader. I feel the clothes come out cleaner. With the front loader clothes seem to sit in water for longer and in the top loader it rinses right away. I do two rinse'es.
    I like the dryer and kept that.

Good luck on your choice. It's an expensive investment

Lorie

3. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I had a cheaper washer dryer. Worked great for many years.
    Then I bought a expensive HE washer. I had so much trouble with it.
    Hated it, it would lock, couldn't open it to add extra clothes, had trouble draining, etc.
    When we moved I bought another cheap one, no frills. Love it, only wish it was
    a little bigger to wash my comforter/big quilts. Don't need frills for two people.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When I moved I had to get anew washer and dryer. Big surprise, top loading no agitator, front loading did not seem to suit me. Wanted one with water levels my choice that was the deciding factor for me. Mine is a Frigidaire Infinity. It is okay but when this fails I will go back to simple! It is large capacity and I can do my comforters, so that is a plus!! Good luck!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The feature I like the best about the washer and dryer that was here in the house when we moved in... buzzer on the washer and a buzzer on the dryer and both have rebuzzes for a period of time.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add what Laura said to my list of hated that.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12 year old Kenmore( midline quality) front load set. Yes, had to get the coins dug out of the pump by a repair man, yes, the gaskets got moldy. But I do still like it and would replace it with a similar set.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like the older simpler top-loading machines without tons of electronic parts. I really like a washer that has a large tub to be able to wash the queen size comforters. On place that you might check about buying a new set is an auction. There have been many almost new sets that have been for sale and they go for fairly cheap. It seems older couples buy new appliances, hardly use them, then there is the auction to get rid off them.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you are buying new and haven't bought a washer / dryer for a while, be prepared for sticker shock! I had a washer/dryer at my old house, I paid $800 for the pair, I think in 2002 or 2003. In 2009, I had a house fire, and had to buy new. I could not believe it when I saw they wanted $800 each! I bought the top load washer because it could handle up to a queen size quilt. My sister was moving in with Mom around this time, so she gave me her dryer. Not sure how old it is, it still works fine. My only complaint is that it has a smaller capacity than the washer. I think both of them are Kenmore's.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

OK, guess I will chime here also. Somewhere around the year 2000, Maytag came out with their front loader and I just had to have one. As we all know those machines just about caused Maytag to go out of business. Mine was trouble from day one and when it finely quit I still wanted another front loader. They save water, detergent and clean cloths better. I purchased Samsung and that washer lasted twelve years with only a minor repair. I just replaced it this year with their newest model with the little door for adding things you forgot. The ten year old dryer is still working fine but has had the heating element replaced. Both washers have self cleaning cycles and you must leave the door open when not in use. I use a quart of white vinegar in the cleaning cycle about once a month. You can open the main door once you start a cycle simply by using the pause button. Water does not run out because the drum is tilted back.That little door for adding forgotten things is a waste of money by the way, you still need to pause the machine for it to open. A front loading machine is also the better choice if you have a private septic system. You can do three loads in a front loader for each single load in a top loading machine. I would never consider any other type of washer for my use. The newer models also come with steam cleaning options as do the dryers for removing wrinkles and simply refreshing items you may not want to wash. I hope this helps you.