Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need help finishing a table runner and topper

I've never made a table runner or table topper and I need to finish one. Do I put batting in it? Do I quilt it like a quilt and bind it the same way?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need help finishing a table runner and topper

I've ever only made one table runner. I followed the pattern, and the direction called for batting and quilting. Finished with binding, just like a long skinny quilt. I was very happy with it.
    Diana Grey

3. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with Diana. I have not made a table runner either, but I would think you want to use 100% cotton batting so it would lay flatter on the table.

5. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, this is a no brainer for you! Make it, quilt it like you do a quilt, and they will buy it!
    Last edited by cv quilter; August 15th, 2018 at 10:48 PM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I've made several table runners, and have been using flannel instead of batting. Everything stayed flatter than it would with batting.

9. Thanks Star lover, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    I've made several table runners, and have been using flannel instead of batting. Everything stayed flatter than it would with batting.
    I've used batting in the table runners I've made, but I love the idea of using flannel. I'll have to make a note of that!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are two basic ways that I have made a tablerunner. The first way is to make is like a traditional quilt. The second method that I have used is where there is not any binding because you layer the batting, backing, and top in that order. Sew a quarter inch all the way around but leave an opening. Then you turn the tablerunner right sides out, be sure to poke out any corners, press well to flatten, stitch a quarter inch all the way around which enclosed the tablerunner completely because you turned in your raw edges at the opening. Final step is to quilt it. Here is Jenny using this method with this table runner https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...k-table-runner. (The instructions for this method start at the 4:41 mark)

13. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry ~ I've made many table runners. I make them for my coffee table, which is 60" long. I usually make them 12-15" wide. I most frequently use a 12" (finished) block, so I need 5 blocks for the length. More often than not, I don't put on a border. Or if I do, it's a narrow one. Yes, just assemble it like a regular quilt. I use my same Hobbs 80/20 batting & FMQ as desired. My recent finish was the batiks one that I made from scraps left over from another project. The blocks were only 10" high, so I added a narrow border. I FMQ the body with Angela Walters' elongated swirl, & used one of Tracey Russell's designs for the border. It looks great on my coffee table. I love all the bright colors. I've made runners for most of the major holidays. I change them with the seasons. I like to try out patterns to see how they look. I've made the Love Notes, the Binding Tool one, the Tennessee block, & various ones. I made that Dandy Stars one with the Christmas Anne of Green Gables fabrics last Dec. Feel free to browse my albums. Go for it! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batiks Table Runner - May 2018 004.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	154486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batiks Table Runner - May 2018 005.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	154487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batiks Table Runner - May 2018 007.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	154488

15. Thanks grammaterry, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made many table runners, the make and turn method, the 10 minute table runner, and the quilt and bind method.

I like the quilt and bind method best... you put more work in it adding the binding after quilting, but it gives to most finished look to me. Good luck with what you decide.

17. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made a number of runners using the 10 minute method with and without batting, the 'bagging' method and as a mini quilt. I always use 100% cotton batting.

For my latest runner I SITD all around and did meander FMQ on the pole and twist.

19. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post