Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FMQ help please

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default FMQ help please

I am not the best at FMQ, but this is driving me crazy. I am just doing swirls, but quite often the top thread seems to miss connecting with the bobbin thread and I have to go back over the spot and try again. Making for a messy back.

I have cleaned the bottom of my machine, changed a broken needle, checked my tension, changed thread, changed bobbins, checked tension,

Then extra step is to throw the machine across the room and get a new one. Never had this problem before.

I am now taking a break (for the 3rd time) to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions.
    Thanks
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ help please

Had that problem too. Slow down your hands. Try another brand of thread.
    My new machine did not like the "good" thread, did well with average quality thread.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to FMQ on my DSM, I used King Tut 40 wt. cotton or Signature 40 wt. cotton. If you have a DSM with a computer, you may need to adjust some of the settings. It takes practice, so don't be discouraged. Are you using a Supreme Slider? Did you wax your extension table prior to starting your project? Are you using a Top Stitch 90/14 needle?

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will try this also.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    When I used to FMQ on my DSM, I used King Tut 40 wt. cotton or Signature 40 wt. cotton. If you have a DSM with a computer, you may need to adjust some of the settings. It takes practice, so don't be discouraged. Are you using a Supreme Slider? Did you wax your extension table prior to starting your project? Are you using a Top Stitch 90/14 needle?
    Yep, have a slider and have never had this problem. Maybe I should go back to my utility thread.
    Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have found the FMQ is highly dependent on your sewing machine, the type of thread, and your set up. I found that on my Brother sewing machine with a top drop in bobbin that there would always be problems going backwards at either plus or minus 45 degree for longer than three stitches. I found that if I used a low quality polyester thread the thread would feed unevenly from the cone, causing skipped stitches like you described. Solved this problem by using a thread net over the low quality polyester thread. The thread net was not necessary for high quality polyester thread like Isacord. Cotton thread spools that have a notch in the lip to hold the thread can also caused skipped stitches like you describe if the notch is not covered up by a spool cap. If no spool cap will fit cover the notch with a piece of tape.

Lastly if you have a semi industrial straight stitch only machine and it starts getting grumpy when FMQ, it probably just wants some more oil. It seems to use more oil when I am FMQ.

Also I seem to have better luck using polyester thread for FMQ rather than cotton thread. I prefer Isacord but have had very good results using Glide thread also.

https://metroemb.com/store/index.php...&path=72_77_78
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

7. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, everyone has great advice. Usually its thread especially if its breaking. I think slowing down might help but when I do that on the curves it seems to eyelash if I'm having a problem. Lint will do it and also when I fmq over seams that aren't ironed flat, I get pore results.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your explanation. I do have a brother, and that seems closest to the answer. Four hours of sewing equals many more hours of ripping, but I will be happier. Not sure how I will finish it but using the walking foot sound pretty good right about now!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Why not practice on some scrap sandwiches first instead of spending hours ripping.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I did practice and it seemed fine, guess I wasn't doing enough area. It skips works for quite a bit then skips again